Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Olympic Trials

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Maybe they will fill the infield with spectators like they do at the Globe Theatre...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I've sat in these seats....they are very comfortable....
    They certainly look very comfortable, totally unlike the crowded bench seating in the former Hayward.

3. Collapse Details

The sudden change in plans last year and with no warning, plus everything was so vague, is what pissed me and others off....

My biggest fear it would be a 30,000 huge white elephant of a stadium at 15th and Agate....but since capacity is slated for 12,500 that is something that can be really useful beyond one meet....

So yes I'm fine with it now....I've pretty much forgotten all about the old stadium....especially as I've seen detailed plans....so onward....
    LOL!!! I figured you would come around. Sometimes change can seem like the end of the world, but it is not always a bad thing. I have been to Eugene OR three times and I hated that old stadium and I said I would never go back. But, since you are speaking so highly of the new one, then maybe I will venture back to Oregon one day before I am called to that "great track meet" in the sky.

4. Collapse Details

Hayward Field and particularly the East Grandstand was one of the best places in the world to see a track meet (the West Grandstand sucked....Bowerman's great legacy) and I've seen meets all over...so yes I and others raised objections....primarily because the plans were so vague as to be useless...it wasn't even clear was the seating capacity would be....I was happy with the Hatfield plan...and then boom...

Anyways it seems a sensible design with the track next to the stands and not a piece of crap like Crystal Palace....

If they had just announced these plans a year ago it would have saved a lot anguish....

Besides it's done....and dusted now...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-18-2019 at 06:47 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Hayward Field and particularly the East Grandstand was one of the best places in the world to see a track meet (the West Grandstand sucked....Bowerman's great legacy) and I've seen meets all over...so yes I and others raised objections....primarily because the plans were so vague as to be useless...it wasn't even clear was the seating capacity would be....I was happy with the Hatfield plan...and then boom...

Anyways it seems a sensible design with the track next to the stands and not a piece of crap like Crystal Palace....

If they had just announced these plans a year ago it would have saved a lot anguish....

Besides it's done....and dusted now...
    I understand. Let me ask a question: When yall say East Grandstand and West Grandstand, which side are you talking about? I have only sat on the side where the finish line is. It has been so long since I have been to Hayward Field, sometime in the 1980s I think, that I do not remember which side was north, south, east or west.

If memory serves me correctly, there were a general admission area right past the finish line in the turn. I remember leaving my assigned seat, which was in the last row at the very top, because I could not view the action in lanes 7 and 8. And those rubber snakes that they had tied in the ceiling to ward off the birds, was freaking me the hell out. LOL!!! I sat in that general admission area, and that was a big mistake. From that angle, the runners were coming at you head on, and I could not tell who was in the lead.
    Last edited by The Klingon; 07-19-2019 at 04:56 AM.

6. Collapse Details

East Grandstand was the backstretch....

7. Collapse Details

East Grandstand was the backstretch....
    Oh. Ok. Thanks. I have only sat on the West Grandstand side. And you are absolutely correct. The West Grandstand sucked.

8. Collapse Details

Drove by the place today - it is impressive in its current state. All of those Nike swooshes built into the supports are a great advertisement.

I'm with Conor on this point: the main problem for many Hayward purists was that, after months of no info whatsoever, the powers-that-be pulled the old bait-and-switch, from the original plans which included the iconic old East Grandstand to the current 1960-era Candlestick Park design.

With all of the hoopla and money and time, this should be the best track ever built . . .

9. Collapse Details

Nike Swooshes! I have to admit that never occurred to me...Of course....that explains why most of the seats won't be covered....

I just drove by about 10 minutes ago....

I agree it will be the top track stadium in the world....which frankly these days isn't saying much...but it looks awesome all the same...

10. Collapse Details

I hope lane 8/9 is not too close to the stands. That is a problem I have with some of the stadiums that I have visited.