Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Olympic Trials

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    A friend was at the Duck season ticket selection/purchase at Autzen this past weekend. He emailed me: "It was an interesting demographic at the ticket lottery. I was the youngest person in the room getting season tickets. Sad commentary on T&F..." He's 62, according to his FB page.
    That's very depressing.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    When will they put the flaming eyeball in it?
    Will it do any good to put the "flaming eyeball" in the tower if they don't have "the precious"?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There in 08/12/16 (plus 92 NOLA / 96 ATL), but missing this one so I can go to WCh21!
    Why not do both?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    A Trials in Eugene is almost Nirvana I must say...probably the best experience you'll ever find...and I've seen meets all over the world...
    All real track fans should have on their bucket list a championship meet in Eugene, but of course that was before they tore down Hayward Field.

5. Collapse Details

While I'm nostalgic and hate to see the passing of traditions and old things, I'm optimistic that the Trials will be just about as fun an experience as in the past, even with Hayward II replacing Hayward I. Half of the experience has nothing to do directly with track and field, but is all about meeting up with old and new friends, eating and drinking at the Duck, Tracktown Pizza, Agate Alley, McMenamin's, and Beppe and Gianni's, stopping by Prince Puckler's for ice cream, running Pre's Trail and through Hendricks Park, biking along the Willamette at sunrise or up and over Fox Hollow Road into the countryside, dinner at King Estate Winery, the requisite stop by Pre's Rock, wandering through a beautiful college campus, watching the recap of the day's events on TV in the evening, picking up a copy of the Register-Guard in the morning and wishing your hometown paper covered track like they do, buying your kids a U of O sweatshirt or hat at The Duck Store, checking out funky coffee shops. And Hayward II....if you can't beat 'em, well, at least the seating will be infinitely more comfortable (might take myself a nap there one day just to prove it) and (hopefully) the ingress and egress will flow much better, and concessions be more accessible. Maybe they can maintain some of the hominess. It was great for fans with seats right on the rail on the back straight with athletes high-fiving everyone on their victory laps, and at Pre twice and the 2016 OT my kids were able to get some great autographs, along the rail, along the path from the track to the locker rooms, and by the athlete shuttle bus stop. Hopefully that won't all go away, and I suspect the athletes, when seen around town, will still be friendly, approachable, and appreciative of fan support, like Ryan Crouser, drinking beer and still in his kit at the Wild Duck ninety minutes after winning the shot in 2016.

Oh, and it's an awesome track meet.

There. Sorry to ramble. I'm looking forward to it all.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Well said Dr Jay....lots to do here.... and the seats are very nice...like being in a cinema...

I'm also optimistic the new Hayward will be fine....it's only 12,500 and the track is right next to the stands...which is a big deal....the same appreciative crowds will be there...

... the West Grandstand sucked I might add....absolutely no one in town misses that....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-12-2019 at 05:44 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Maybe it will be like baseball stadiums. Round vanilla-flavored things like Busch, Riverfront, and Three Rivers Stadiums replaced Sportsman's Park, Crosley Field, and Forbe's Field. They lasted 30 to 40 years and have been replaced by retro stadiums with more character (or something like that). Maybe in 30 years Hayward III will be built with a nod toward Hayward I features.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves....in 30 years it could easily be a parking lot....especially with Uncle Phil gone....and no new fans coming up...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.

9. Collapse Details

I don't do all of the things DrJay does when he's in Eugene, but I do enjoy visiting there, and I certainly share his views about the comfort of the stadium itself. The new Hayward should be a much, much better place to get to your seat in the stands and then sit there and watch a track meet. The old West grandstand could be very uncomfortable.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Why not do both?
    That would be wicked cool, but I can't justify the expenses two years in a row. My wife dutifully goes with me and ends up enjoying herself, but there are LOTS of other places we could go that would please her more, and we limit ourselves to one major getway every summer, so we have $$ for the TEN grandchildren (all in town)!