Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Earthquake Rocks LA

2. Collapse Details

Best way to ride out an earthquake: go for a run.

I got back from a 6-miler at about 11:45 or so, a few minutes after the quake. My wife and neighbors confronted me as I came in the driveway: "Did you feel that?!", they cried. Well, it felt pretty good, I thought -- a nice easy run, with only a bit of burn....

I felt NOTHING! I did see a lot of people collecting on the streets toward the end of my run, but since it was close to noon, didn't really think anything of it.

At least I didn't go through with my original workout plan: 4-mile run, then weights. I'd hate to think I'd have been doing bench press at 11:42!

3. Collapse Details

5.8?? Wake me up when there is a real EQ . . .

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    need we remind you?

5. Collapse Details

Nope - I was four blocks from that section of freeway when the quake hit. It was a bit more than a 5.8.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    Well, it's big enough to warrant 1.5 hours of TV coverage and counting (all channels). Although there are no reports of significant damage, mostly it served to shake the hell out of everything. My wife said the house swayed moderately -- enough to get her attention -- then the major shaking hit. The cats scrambled (one was still traumatized and trembling 40 minutes later -- but she's a bit odd), and a plant fell over.

Down the street from us, a bunch of items fell off the shelves at a local drug store (shown on the news).

7. Collapse Details
    By a Factor of 400%
    Interesting that bad hammy says it felt worse- the USGS has actually downgraded it to a 5.4:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/29/earthquake.ca/

Who're you gonna believe, them or your lying tires? :wink:

8. Collapse Details
    Re: By a Factor of 400%
    Quote Originally Posted by bijanc
    Interesting that bad hammy says it felt worse- the USGS has actually downgraded it to a 5.4
    I was actually commenting on the quake in the picture, which unless I am wrong is of the 1989 EQ in the SF area. That quake was about a 6.9 and did quite a bit of damage.

9. Collapse Details

We felt it in San Diego, but it was so minor that neither Mary nor I thought to ask the other "did you feel that". Wasn't until relatives called that "oh, yeah, we had a little jolt". Tell you what Marlow, I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes any time. With the damn hurricanes, you get to think about it, fret about it, decide what (if anything) to do. The only anqst in an earthquake is waiting for the aftershocks.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mike renfro
    Tell you what Marlow, I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes any time. With the damn hurricanes, you get to think about it, fret about it, decide what (if anything) to do. The only anqst in an earthquake is waiting for the aftershocks.
    Give me earthquake country vs. hurricane or tornado country any day. Here in the US the death and injury and damage rate for tornados and hurricanes dwarfs that of earthquakes.

For instance, in my lifetime somewhere around 385 have died in the US due to earthquakes, whereas around 2900 have died due to hurricanes (and while Katrina was a bubble, accounting for 1800 or so, but that still leaves another 1100).