Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Olympic Trials

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The only downside is that every single major event will be held in Oregon for decades.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    The only downside is that every single major event will be held in Oregon for decades.
    I am afraid you are correct. I just do not understand, why the powers that be, think that only Eugene OR, can host a great track meet. Ok, the Olympic Trials, USATF Championships (to pick the World Championship teams), give those to Eugene. Whatever. But in my humble opinion, the NCAAs should be moved around.
    Last edited by The Klingon; 07-19-2019 at 04:46 PM.

3. Collapse Details

I wish the summer weather in Sacramento was better. The Sac State stadium allows for a lot of fan/athlete interaction. My wife and I would stand next to the fence at the starting blocks for the 200, and you really got to watch and listen to the athletes get ready. It was also a perfect location for watching the PV. We were always walking past athletes going to and fro. I especially enjoyed meeting Ryan Crouser just after he popped his 74 footer.

I attended the 2004 OTs and the 2017 WC Trials, and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Of course, sitting next to Alan Shank in 2017 was a treat. But each time, we couldn't wait for the sun to go behind the West side overhang.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    ....But in my humble opinion, the NCAAs should be moved around.
    We've been down this road a bazillion times, but let me lay it out one more time: the NCAA doesn't go looking for host sites. Schools formulate bids, and if there aren't schools formulating bids, then there's not a lot of options.

And a school isn't going to bid unless there's the convergence of a motivated head coach and an accomodating AD. Plus the presence of a suitable local base of officials and volunteers and available housing. Only then can you think about making a bid and very few schools (from time immemorial) feel motivated to make bids.

And there's one other wrinkle. NCAA facility requirements. LSU did a fab job of hosting the '02 meet in a very likeable stadium, but we've never been back. Apparently because there's not enough seating to please the NCAA.

Eugene gets a lot of bids because it consistently ticks all the boxes, and markedly better than other contenders.

5. Collapse Details

Just out of curiosity, how many boxes did Austin, TX tick?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    And there's one other wrinkle. NCAA facility requirements. LSU did a fab job of hosting the '02 meet in a very likeable stadium, but we've never been back. Apparently because there's not enough seating to please the NCAA.
    After the basketball arena expanded its footprint Bernie Moore Stadium no longer had space to put the temporary seating required for hosting NCAA's.

What about North Carolina A&T and the city of Greensboro? They seem to do a good job of hosting big meets?
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-19-2019 at 07:57 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    We've been down this road a bazillion times, but let me lay it out one more time: the NCAA doesn't go looking for host sites. Schools formulate bids, and if there aren't schools formulating bids, then there's not a lot of options.

And a school isn't going to bid unless there's the convergence of a motivated head coach and an accomodating AD. Plus the presence of a suitable local base of officials and volunteers and available housing. Only then can you think about making a bid and very few schools (from time immemorial) feel motivated to make bids.
    Eugene gets a lot of bids because it consistently ticks all the boxes, and markedly better than other contenders.
    I get all this, but it seems when the NCAA awards a 6 year contract to a specific site they have made a decision that does not encourage bids. I am totally willing to believe the number of potential bids can be counted on one hand or maybe two or three fingers, but if that means rotating between Eugene, Austin and Des Moines that in my opinion is FAR better than all Eugene all the time.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post

What about North Carolina A&T and the city of Greensboro? They seem to do a good job of hosting big meets?
    gh said that schools have to formulate bids. Perhaps North Carolina A&T has never done this.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    I get all this, but it seems when the NCAA awards a 6 year contract to a specific site they have made a decision that does not encourage bids. I am totally willing to believe the number of potential bids can be counted on one hand or maybe two or three fingers, but if that means rotating between Eugene, Austin and Des Moines that in my opinion is FAR better than all Eugene all the time.
    I totally agree, but apparently rotating ain't happening anymore. So whither we like it or not, it is Eugene or bust.

10. Collapse Details

I wish there were places in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic that were interested. They have generally good weather in early June. Ditto almost everywhere in the Pacific coast states, including Eugene. Austin & Baton Rouge can be problematical at that time of year.

To me, weather is a biggie.