Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: All Duv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

FWIW, Wiki sez she had a son. Doesn't say anything about her being married.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewa_K%C5%82obukowska

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    FWIW, Wiki sez she had a son. Doesn't say anything about her being married.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewa_K%C5%82obukowska
    Someone ought to correct that error in Wikipedia.

3. Collapse Details

Well, the Wiki mention cites this 2012 story in The Independent by one Guy Adams, who apparently now writes for The Daily Mail.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-7869830.html

Interestingly, it appears that this reference was just added last month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=854875160

I'm not a Wiki contributor, but their standards might require a link to a more authoritative source debunking the disputed claim.

4. Collapse Details

Here are some newspaper articles on Ewa that references her gender confusion issue:
    LA Times 1/26/1984: Ewa had "Super Female" XXX chromosomes

The Age Melbourne, Australia 9/28/2000: "a few years later she gave birth" referring to her 1967 testing and ban.

1989 newspaper (I didn't write down): "she had two operations to enhance her feminity"

February 29, 1968: On Leap Day they interviewed boy who was dating Ewa and he "laughed" when he was told of her genetic disorder which made her a male. He is quoted as saying believe me, she is "all girl" and we plan on marrying.

Maybe someone from T &F with "high" authority and "credentials" could connect with Ewa in Poland and see if she is willing to tell the whole story about marriage, child, and further genetic testing she may have had. IAAF should also straighten out the World Record Progression before she passes away.

5. Collapse Details

Our Polish contact for Olympedia, Pawel Wudarski, replied to me and stated that, as far as he knows, Klobukowska never married.

6. Collapse Details

Marriage aside, is there some way to resolve the childbirth claim?

As noted in posts above, there are a number of citations online (including the prior home of the Olympedia data, sports-reference.com) and in published books that say she did have a child, while Pego insists that would be impossible and the report must be mixing her up with someone else.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    Since Ewa is still alive the Olympic Committee can easily research her medical and genetic results of the 1960's and perform more updated genetic testing to determine her legitimate right to a gold medal and world record performance in 1964.
    It appears that she fits the definition of a "female" if exam was correct and she gave birth to a child.
    There is a "Swyer Syndrome" (Although I believe they are 46XY and therefore Barr Body negative) in which visual exam is female correct and there is no testosterone production abnormality, but the ovary and uterus formation is not matured after puberty and with hormone therapy the person can develop secondary sex characteristics and even deliver a child after "egg implantation" is performed.

It only seems fair that "What God giveth and God Taketh Away" the Olympic Committee can "Taketh Away and Giveth Back"
    Would the IOC be involved? I thought it says above Poland kept OG Gold...just not the world record.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Would the IOC be involved? I thought it says above Poland kept OG Gold...just not the world record.
    IOC will never change it now - too many years out. They've only done that a couple of times - Jim Thorpe, Ingemar Johansson, 1952 boxing bronze medalists.

Rules were also very different in 1964. The current process at the Olympic is that IFs (IAAF in this case) are responsible for changing the results, but the IOC removes medals and re-assigns them, or does not.

That's why so many people are wrong when a doping positive is revealed on re-test and they assume that so-and-so will move up to a /blank/ medal. Not always the case on these 2008-12 re-tests. Several have been withheld. In T&F, notable one is from Athens 2000 after Marion Jones was revealed, the IOC did not advance Aikaterini Thanou to the gold medal (after her escapade in Athens 2004). However, they did advance Tayna Lawrence to silver and Merlene Ottey to bronze, so the event has no gold medalist and 2 silver medalists.

9. Collapse Details

Thanks bambam1729. I guess that is the best resource to rely on other than a statement from Ewa herself. As you know in medicine, when you ask a colleague to consult and give an opinion on your patient, you would rather he/she say "I know for a fact that she was never married" rather than "as far as I know (I believe) she was never married".

A very interesting side story to a great athlete and a great piece of track trivia.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Our Polish contact for Olympedia, Pawel Wudarski, replied to me and stated that, as far as he knows, Klobukowska never married.
    Oh well, I've been wrong once before, too .
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley