Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: All Duv

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    All Duv
    Happy 75th birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who won an Olympic gold medal and two Olympic silver medals within five days of each other.

This champion did not compete in the Olympic hurdles.

Our birthday athlete is three days older than Tommie Smith, however did not compete in the same Olympics as did Tommie Smith.

Unscramble the six letters in the title to reveal an important clue.

You know the answer so please name our birthday champion for this first Monday of June.

2. Collapse Details

All Duv = Duvall = Edith McGuire Duvall

3. Collapse Details

Happy 75th birthday today to Edith McGuire. Nice going, tandfman. Edith McGuire, of course, won the Olympic 200 gold medal in Tokyo (1964). She took silver in the 100 just three days before winning the 200 and anchored the silver medal relay team two days after winning the 200. Interesting to note. Poland won the four by 100 relay (43.6) and the U.S. was credited with a new world record (43.9) in second place.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy 75th birthday today to Edith McGuire. Nice going, tandfman. Edith McGuire, of course, won the Olympic 200 gold medal in Tokyo (1964). She took silver in the 100 just three days before winning the 200 and anchored the silver medal relay team two days after winning the 200. Interesting to note. Poland won the four by 100 relay (43.6) and the U.S. was credited with a new world record (43.9) in second place.
    That was because of Ewa Klobukowska who was later banned from female competition based on the Barr body chromosome test

5. Collapse Details

That's right, bambam1729. Poland was allowed to retain the gold medal, but not the world record.

6. Collapse Details

Klobukowska would not be DQ'd today. Of what I recall (if Powell reads this, he might correct me if my memory is bad), she was XY or XYY mosaic. These are not known to posses male gonads or if they do, they would be functionally insufficient. She would be very unlikely to have high testosterone levels either. Her external genitalia were female, capable of intercourse (she was married). Since she lacked the second X, she could not pass the Barr body as bambam posted.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

Since Ewa is still alive the Olympic Committee can easily research her medical and genetic results of the 1960's and perform more updated genetic testing to determine her legitimate right to a gold medal and world record performance in 1964.
    It appears that she fits the definition of a "female" if exam was correct and she gave birth to a child.
    There is a "Swyer Syndrome" (Although I believe they are 46XY and therefore Barr Body negative) in which visual exam is female correct and there is no testosterone production abnormality, but the ovary and uterus formation is not matured after puberty and with hormone therapy the person can develop secondary sex characteristics and even deliver a child after "egg implantation" is performed.

It only seems fair that "What God giveth and God Taketh Away" the Olympic Committee can "Taketh Away and Giveth Back"

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwesrfan
    she gave birth to a child
    That information is incorrect, she never did, as a XY mosaic, she had no tools for that. I suspect, this erroneous info is a result of somebody confusing Ewa with Irena Szewinska. They appeared on the scene at the same time, both were tall, kickass sprinters. Actually, it was Irena that people at that time suspected for not being a real woman.
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

We don't have her with a married name. We keep track of this pretty assiduously but we can be wrong. I'll check with our Polish expert.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    We don't have her with a married name. We keep track of this pretty assiduously but we can be wrong. I'll check with our Polish expert.
    I never knew her married name, but if memory serves, she was married.
    by Thomas Henry Huxley