Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    The issue is around drug testing. NCAA is not a WADA code signatory and they don't share failed tests with WADA/USADA.

I am sure the equipment/timing/officials were all superb.

For the IAAF to ratify a world record at NCAAs, USADA would need to be present and be given access to the first passing of urine. This conflicts with the NCAA drug testing.

The world record/U20 records set at NCAA Indoors last year were never ratified so...
    Didn't someone at the NCAAs (from LSU, I believe) fail a drug test earlier this decade, and either the points in that event were revoked or the title revoked, and the individual suspended from both NCAA and international competition?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    =9th on the all-time world list!!
    Which, after 40 years, knocks Evelyn out of the all-time top 10.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I did not realize that this was the best DL meet on the circuit.

12.98/13.00
    2:59.05
    [going on memory, might have missed something and been off a bit]
    19.73 by Oduduru.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Didn't someone at the NCAAs (from LSU, I believe) fail a drug test earlier this decade, and either the points in that event were revoked or the title revoked, and the individual suspended from both NCAA and international competition?
    Likely thinking of Semoy Hackett. LSU lost points in both sprints and the sprint relay championship. 2012?

I think she remained eligible internationally because the info is not released by either the NCAA or school due to US privacy (FERPA and/or HIPAA) laws.

The opposite of the Steve Mulling fiasco in which he failed a test at the Jamaican Trials yet was recruited as an eligible athlete at Mississippi State because, at least at the time, the NCAA only recognized failed tests that the NCAA administered. I'm not sure this is still the case.

5. Collapse Details

Definitely the biggest surprise of the weekend for me. 10.75 celebrating before the line at the age of 19 is just insane! That's an Olympics-winning performance there.

6. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    She wasn't really easing up, just celebrating.
    Completely, she took her arms out of the equation but here legs didn't let up.

7. Collapse Details

But her center of gravity went up and not down, and a lean would have knocked more time off. My guess is about 0.03 seconds, less than most estimates for Bolt for his first OG 100.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    But her center of gravity went up and not down, and a lean would have knocked more time off. My guess is about 0.03 seconds, less than most estimates for Bolt for his first OG 100.
    My math shows that at her end speed (~.95sec/10m), each .01 sec = 3.74 inches of travel. So you're saying she could have gained about a foot had she kept her running mechanics and leaned (which itself, ends running mechanics).
    While that's certainly possible, I'd guess less, and it certainly was more fun to watch her way! As was Bolt's and Borzov's and Tommie Smith's, etc..

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    Completely, she took her arms out of the equation but here legs didn't let up.
    Without wanting to quibble over what that last digit would have been, arms contribute to forward motion....and running with hands over head is not the way to optimize a 100 time.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    During Mondo's last two years of high school, I was told that LSU would have testers on standby whenever he thought he might break a record and not actually at the meet. However, since neither the LHSAA nor the Texas Relays would have had any interest in testing him, that might explain why USADA/WADA were always able to get the first sample in those situations. But that still doesn't explain Trayvon Bromell's 2014 WJR. Has the testing protocol changed since 2014?
    I do not know. Either the NCAA gave USADA access to him in 2014, or the IAAF has changed something since then. I don't know which it is.