Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 2019 Bowerman

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2019 Bowerman
    It would appear that Grant Holloway has a lock on the men's trophy but there doesn't appear to be clear favorite on the women's side. Off the top of my head I can think of anyone who swept the indoor and outdoor titles in an event.

2. Collapse Details

I think McDonald will certainly have a lot of support on the men's side, winning the 5K outdoors, the 3k & 5K indoors, and XC in the fall.

3. Collapse Details

Does the Bowerman take cross country into consideration?

4. Collapse Details

Nope.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Does the Bowerman take cross country into consideration?
    Not officially, but I imagine many voters couldn't help but think of it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I think McDonald will certainly have a lot of support on the men's side, winning the 5K outdoors, the 3k & 5K indoors, and XC in the fall.
    If Roberts had not clobbered #9 as he was closing on Holloway, he might have run 12.97 and won the race. Then Holloway would not have won any event and would not haave the NCAA record. Of course, Mondo will also have some supporters, as does, particularly Oduduru.

On the women's side Just from outdoors certainly 100/200 performance of 9.75/22.17? will get votes. Allie O has probably won too little. And Kolata could not hold the lead in the 5000, did not win XC, and was beaten by Monson (now injured).

7. Collapse Details

Holloway broke 3 NCAA records this year, one of which was an American Record. I think its pretty clear he is the front runner.

Women, I have no idea. Samantha Noennig in the Shot, Zarriea Willis in the High Jump look to be the only 2 indoor and outdoor winners.
    Maybe its recency bias, but I would give it to Richardson since she obliterated the 100m record and broke 2 world junior records.
    Last edited by ATK; 06-10-2019 at 06:23 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Maybe its recency bias, but I would give it to Richardson since she obliterated the 100m record and broke 2 world junior records.
    College athletes in consideration for a college-level award should be compared against college records and other college athletes, not against junior records. They're in the NCAA to compete against college athletes and college records, and shouldn't be given bonus points for bettering lower-level standards like junior records.

Richardson's 10.75 is awesome for having broken a decades-old NCAA record, but her 22.17 should be evaluated based on how it stands up to other 200m NCAA sprinters this year and in history, not treated as special for breaking a world junior record.

9. Collapse Details

Holloway is deservedly the guy for breaking 'the 'legendary collegiate record. The fact that he beat an opponent also of top all time ability adds to his accomplishment.

Given that xc doesn't count, my male runner-up would be Bryce Hoppel. Undefeated indoors and out and he put up a top five all time mark to win outdoor champs.

3k and 5k indoors are pretty much testing the same ability and, while MM had to pull off a double, his main competition, Fisher, was also doubling from a hard effort in the DMR.

And the only high quality time performance MM ran all year in any event was the 7:42 3000m at Millrose where he got beat by Fisher.

On balance, Hoppel number two male.

10. Collapse Details

Of course I would love to see Duplantis and Richardison win but the problem is that Mondo didn't close the deal outdoors and Richardson didn't distinguish herself indoors. Will 6.00 and 10.75 be their respective trump cards?