Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #61
    Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    Yikes - I guess I'm in a minority in not liking showboating. No, I didn't like Bolt's antics either.
    I think most people did like Bolt's "antics". They enjoyed it as part of the show and they came to expect it. I think Bolt knew exactly what he was doing--entertaining fans and at the same time enhancing his personal brand. I never had any problem with that.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    One more thumbs down on show boating. Just my Barry Sanders mentality.
    I agree, it really diminishes the sport and it should really be discouraged at an NCAA event.

    At the pro level, I like the free market and I like the idea that promoters and athletes are constantly adjusting to what they think will sell and fill seats so there has to be room for some of the juvenile stuff.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I agree, it really diminishes the sport and it should really be discouraged at an NCAA event.

    At the pro level, I like the free market and I like the idea that promoters and athletes are constantly adjusting to what they think will sell and fill seats so there has to be room for some of the juvenile stuff.
    You old obtuse men need to sit down...
    the 1950's are gone and ain't coming back, ok?
    "Diminishes the sport" You sound like Avery Brundage, lol. Please provide any proof that young athletes celebrating diminishes the sport.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    You old obtuse men need to sit down...
    the 1950's are gone and ain't coming back, ok?
    "Diminishes the sport" You sound like Avery Brundage, lol. Please provide any proof that young athletes celebrating diminishes the sport.
    Your memory is deeply flawed and distorted. Even though I was not even born yet the 1950s had fantastic sport personality spectacles that wowed crowds and drew in huge audiences . Watch professional wrestling from the 1950s and you get an idea of how advanced showboating could get. They could pack Madison square garden with near vaudville like performance.

    Quit wetting your bed old man , the 1950s are gone and Rogers is no longer wrestling champ

    But that is not the model for the NCAA, where the goal is to foster sportsmanship. I don't think Holloway did anything way out of bounds, he did not disparage competitors .
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #65
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,630
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    ...

    But that is not the model for the NCAA, where the goal is to foster sportsmanship... .
    when did that seismic event hit the planet?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Your memory is deeply flawed and distorted. Even though I was not even born yet the 1950s had fantastic sport personality spectacles that wowed crowds and drew in huge audiences . Watch professional wrestling from the 1950s and you get an idea of how advanced showboating could get. They could pack Madison square garden with near vaudville like performance.

    Quit wetting your bed old man , the 1950s are gone and Rogers is no longer wrestling champ

    But that is not the model for the NCAA, where the goal is to foster sportsmanship. I don't think Holloway did anything way out of bounds, he did not disparage competitors .
    I was born in 1968...and I was speaking about your mindset.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    I was born in 1968...and I was speaking about your mindset.
    We are of the same generation and I was speaking about your mindset. I don't know what the NCAA rules of conduct specify. I would hope only that they prohibit disparaging or degrading or belittling or slighting of competitors or the disrespecting of official s or coaches.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,724
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    We are of the same generation and I was speaking about your mindset. I don't know what the NCAA rules of conduct specify. I would hope only that they prohibit disparaging or degrading or belittling or slighting of competitors or the disrespecting of official s or coaches.
    Since Holloway didn't do any of those things, why are you offering an opinion on the matter unless it's simply to keep up with whatever "outside the box" persona you like to maintain.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Since Holloway didn't do any of those things, why are you offering an opinion on the matter unless it's simply to keep up with whatever "outside the box" persona you like to maintain.
    Old folks slamming college kids for not living up to their standards and acting like someone in their middle 30's will only insure them continuing various post race victory celebrations.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Since Holloway didn't do any of those things, why are you offering an opinion on the matter unless it's simply to keep up with whatever "outside the box" persona you like to maintain.
    Thank you!
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •