Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    Yikes - I guess I'm in a minority in not liking showboating. No, I didn't like Bolt's antics either.
    I think most people did like Bolt's "antics". They enjoyed it as part of the show and they came to expect it. I think Bolt knew exactly what he was doing--entertaining fans and at the same time enhancing his personal brand. I never had any problem with that.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    One more thumbs down on show boating. Just my Barry Sanders mentality.
    I agree, it really diminishes the sport and it should really be discouraged at an NCAA event.

At the pro level, I like the free market and I like the idea that promoters and athletes are constantly adjusting to what they think will sell and fill seats so there has to be room for some of the juvenile stuff.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I agree, it really diminishes the sport and it should really be discouraged at an NCAA event.

At the pro level, I like the free market and I like the idea that promoters and athletes are constantly adjusting to what they think will sell and fill seats so there has to be room for some of the juvenile stuff.
    You old obtuse men need to sit down...
    the 1950's are gone and ain't coming back, ok?
    "Diminishes the sport" You sound like Avery Brundage, lol. Please provide any proof that young athletes celebrating diminishes the sport.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    You old obtuse men need to sit down...
    the 1950's are gone and ain't coming back, ok?
    "Diminishes the sport" You sound like Avery Brundage, lol. Please provide any proof that young athletes celebrating diminishes the sport.
    Your memory is deeply flawed and distorted. Even though I was not even born yet the 1950s had fantastic sport personality spectacles that wowed crowds and drew in huge audiences . Watch professional wrestling from the 1950s and you get an idea of how advanced showboating could get. They could pack Madison square garden with near vaudville like performance.

Quit wetting your bed old man , the 1950s are gone and Rogers is no longer wrestling champ

But that is not the model for the NCAA, where the goal is to foster sportsmanship. I don't think Holloway did anything way out of bounds, he did not disparage competitors .

5. Collapse Details

Administrator

But that is not the model for the NCAA, where the goal is to foster sportsmanship... .
    when did that seismic event hit the planet?

6. Collapse Details

Your memory is deeply flawed and distorted. Even though I was not even born yet the 1950s had fantastic sport personality spectacles that wowed crowds and drew in huge audiences . Watch professional wrestling from the 1950s and you get an idea of how advanced showboating could get. They could pack Madison square garden with near vaudville like performance.

Quit wetting your bed old man , the 1950s are gone and Rogers is no longer wrestling champ

But that is not the model for the NCAA, where the goal is to foster sportsmanship. I don't think Holloway did anything way out of bounds, he did not disparage competitors .
    I was born in 1968...and I was speaking about your mindset.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    I was born in 1968...and I was speaking about your mindset.
    We are of the same generation and I was speaking about your mindset. I don't know what the NCAA rules of conduct specify. I would hope only that they prohibit disparaging or degrading or belittling or slighting of competitors or the disrespecting of official s or coaches.

8. Collapse Details

We are of the same generation and I was speaking about your mindset. I don't know what the NCAA rules of conduct specify. I would hope only that they prohibit disparaging or degrading or belittling or slighting of competitors or the disrespecting of official s or coaches.
    Since Holloway didn't do any of those things, why are you offering an opinion on the matter unless it's simply to keep up with whatever "outside the box" persona you like to maintain.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Since Holloway didn't do any of those things, why are you offering an opinion on the matter unless it's simply to keep up with whatever "outside the box" persona you like to maintain.
    Old folks slamming college kids for not living up to their standards and acting like someone in their middle 30's will only insure them continuing various post race victory celebrations.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Thank you!