Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    .. I don't think Holloway did anything way out of bounds, he did not disparage competitors .
    User4 delivers from outside the box.

2. Collapse Details

Not sure if this goes with this thread.

I was wondering today why Grant Holloway doesn't run the 100m. He has a 6.50 60m, a 43.75 split, and he really seems hampered by his size and speed in the latter stages of the 110h. Roberts was catching Grant until Roberts hit a hurdle.

Given that the 100m title is both more sought after and lucrative, his potential as a 100m sprinter seems to be the equal or better than the current group (which is a very good group),and that his potential in the 110h may be limited by his ability to shuffle and maintain speed, I'm surprised he isn't pursuing it seriously. Thoughts?

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    perhaps he and his camp know that there's no way he can ever run 9.58, but 12.80 is a real possibility?

4. Collapse Details

It's obvious that Holloway is making great strides (pun!) towards refining his shuffling between hurdles. He's too big and fast and strong for the 110s, but with more technical work, 12.80 is not outside the realm of possibility. I'm just as impressed with Roberts too. Can we install them as co-favorites for the WC/OG? Shubenkov seems to be the only one who could stop them, and I think he doesn't have nearly the upside of these two. I give McLeod and Ortega little chance of getting better.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    perhaps he and his camp know that there's no way he can ever run 9.58, but 12.80 is a real possibility?
    Obviously his camp is completely wrong and here's why (tongue in cheek emoji, if that exists; but arguing T&F is fun so here it goes):

I don't necessarily agree with him having no chance at running 9.58 but I would agree that it is very unlikely. However, he doesn't have to beat Bolt. Just Coleman, Lyles, Gatlin, etc.

While victory in the 100 is definitely not a given, the 110h might even be harder for him win. He's not exactly the ideal build for the 3-step limitations. He ran a near perfect race to get that 12.98. Roberts had several mistakes and still almost won. Then, there is Shubenkov, McCleod, and Ortega who each have a faster PB. Lots of others in the second tier as well.

The upside of being a 100m champ would seem to me to be worth the risk. Being a 100m Olympic champion is much more prestigious than being a 110h recored holder and Oly champ together.

ps. I'm pretty sure his camp will read this and change their minds on his athletic career direction.

6. Collapse Details

I believed he will try the 400 hurdles after Tokyo,but it is apparent that he will concentrate on the sprint hurdles this year and next year.

And yes, I agree that Roberts has a bigger upside than Holloway.

7. Collapse Details

Holloway's celebration was pretty unoriginal, held the pose too long and was bland.
    Athletes in other sports rehearse their victory "dances" and are ready when the lights come on. Track athletes are still way behind the rest of the sports world in so many ways.

Roberts can improve his arm movements, IMO, and will clean up the hitting the hurdles.
    His start was very good and I believe he was leading over the second hurdle.
    Good race and fine Times.

My celebration policy: Have a designated winner's circle and give them 20 sec to do whatever floats their boats, within the bounds of common decency.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    I believed he will try the 400 hurdles after Tokyo,but it is apparent that he will concentrate on the sprint hurdles this year and next year.
    He could be as good as Samba in less than a year. He could undoubtedly maintain 13 all the way. With his speed and technique, he has 400H WR written all over him.