Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Mondo looked like he couldn't quite figure out what pole to be on as his hips were all over the place.
    I'm not surprised if, as posted, he's been moving up the poles quickly since Euros. As he get's closer to max capacity, the margin of error gets smaller, so it's not surprising to get unexpected outcomes.

However, given how well he's handled the first half of the year, I'm sure he'll focus his pole selection towards consistency for the international season and at the WC, he'll be more like last year, just higher on a bigger pole.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    I'm not surprised if, as posted, he's been moving up the poles quickly since Euros. As he get's closer to max capacity, the margin of error gets smaller, so it's not surprising to get unexpected outcomes.

However, given how well he's handled the first half of the year, I'm sure he'll focus his pole selection towards consistency for the international season and at the WC, he'll be more like last year, just higher on a bigger pole.
    Cajun said he moved up and jumped on two poles he has never jumped on before. And it looks like even the last one he jumped on wasn't enough.

He is getting faster and faster. This meet it seems he was just bring too much heat and is in a transition phase.

3. Collapse Details

One thing that made me even more of a Mondo fan than I already am is how well he handled defeat at what supposed to be his coronation as the collegiate GOAT. Nearly an hour after the competition he was still hanging around fielding questions from media and mingling with fans and officials. I'll be curious to our resident Mondo whisperer, aka cajun5150, has to say on Mondo and the competition.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    A very good point. It would be a heckuva a long season for any college athlete, especially one who needs to continue the grind into the next year and one who might be looking at Tokyo.
    We're all expecting Mondo to do that.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Marcinkiewicz View Post
    One guy who looked really good that no one is talking about is Clayton Fritsch. He has gone from a solid high school vaulter to an elite level in two years. It wasn't a fluke that he came third in this competition. Excited to see what he will do going forward.
    Fritsch was great. I would not have been surprised if he had jumped 5.85. Every clearance was enough for that height. He just ended up taking too many jumps. For his last 2 attempts, he didn't even get on the runway until he had 10 seconds left. He was completely gassed.

His one issue is going to be his takeoff. He takes off at 12' when he should be around 14'. That's going to make it difficult to raise his grip and will eventually result in injury issues.

Another one to watch now is Bray. He jumped 5.40 in high school but hadn't improved very much...to 5.50 last year. He had enough height for 5.80 he also took to many jumps.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I saw on Texas Tech's twitter that Bray broke his foot in the first indoor meet of this season.

He came into the meet with a 5.45 SB and 5.50 PB and he made 5.70 with room to spare. I was shocked his PR was only 5.50 coming into the meet.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post

It isn't a pole selection issue. It's an "issue" of him being a young athlete who is still developing and just keeps getting on bigger poles.

And that is the scary thing. We've never had a guy jump 6 meters twice who still had so much room for improvement.

That's been the reason for a decent percentage of the vaults Mondo has missed in the past few years... on the biggest pole of his life, needs a bigger pole.

It is a great problem to have. I suspect things will level out a bit more between now and Tokyo, I think next year is the year he stops going up like 10 poles per season haha.

8. Collapse Details

Will Mondo announce going pro immediately after the meet is over? I’d love to see him stick around the NCAA for another year. How much fun would be to have another couple NCAA meets like yesterday?

Can you imagine aa 6.0 getting second and 5.80 getting third or worse?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Carr broke Earl Bell's Arkansas State school record with his jump of 5.70 today.

Came into the meet with a lifetime best of 5.50 from last year, 5.48 SB. What I was most impressed about with his 5.70 clearance is that his first attempt he couldn't even get his toes over the bar, then makes a monster PR on his second!
    I was barely aware of Carr beforehand. He developed something of a rooting section among those of us sitting between the landing pad and the pressbox. I looked him up afterwards on TFRRS. Imperial, he vaulted a 18-00 1/2 at a meet at Mississippi State in March 2018. His next nineteen meets, if I counted correctly, he vaulted the 17s ten times, the 16s eight times, the 15s once, and the 18s zero times, before his nearly eight-inch improvement, at the NCAAs of all places, to 18-08 1/4. The bar would jostle...and would stay up. At least once, on his back in the landing pad he'd look up with his hands to each side of his head, incredulous. Just totally in a groove, the over-achiever of the day. Big kudos.

10. Collapse Details

and Carr did that from only 16 steps (most take 18-20) and it looked like he was on 490 (16') poles.