Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 111
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I don’t know how tall he is but few big successful guys come to mind. There was a Russian/Aussie who was 6’7” or so and I think Okker Britt was about that tall.
    Viktor Chistyakov?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The pole vault feed was fun to watch because it hung around after Mondo lost and his graciousness was something...he seemed to take it extremely well...
    Here's Mondo talking about his decision to come to LSU:

    https://twitter.com/i/status/1136696253268484096
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It isn't a pole selection issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    on the biggest pole of his life, needs a bigger pole.
    ???

    There are (crudely) four key peformance elements: psychological, technical, physical and, uniquely for PV, pole selection.

    All four elements have to be properly balanced for max performance and, for developing athletes, the improvement curves of each also have to match.

    For Mondo, it appears that until last year, the four improvement curves coincided almost perfectly but this year, based on posts, the physical improvement curve seems to be steeper than previously, putting pole selection slightly behind.

    As you say, this is not a bad problem to have, but you don't want to have that problem at WC. At some stage, you have to decide that this is enough speed and this is enough pole for now in order to optimally balance all components.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I don’t know how tall he is but few big successful guys come to mind. There was a Russian/Aussie who was 6’7” or so and I think Okker Britt was about that tall.
    Brits peaked at 21. He did have some confidence issues after his NH at the '96 OG but watch video of 21 yo Brits vs 25 yo Brits. He lost his wheels and wasn't as agile. He also had about 15 pounds of additional muscle. Chistyakov was similar. Except for a late PR, he jumped really high early and leveled off a bit below that peak. I wouldn't be surprised if Nilsen jumps 6.10+ but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. The history books are filled with 1000x more dudes that were going to be "it" than dudes that were it.

    When you watch Mondo, he has the one thing that Bubka and Lavallenie had that pretty much none of the rest of them have...elite runway speed. At this meet it was the same way. There was Mondo and a big gap to everyone else.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    Brits peaked at 21. He did have some confidence issues after his NH at the '96 OG but watch video of 21 yo Brits vs 25 yo Brits. He lost his wheels and wasn't as agile. He also had about 15 pounds of additional muscle. Chistyakov was similar. Except for a late PR, he jumped really high early and leveled off a bit below that peak. I wouldn't be surprised if Nilsen jumps 6.10+ but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. The history books are filled with 1000x more dudes that were going to be "it" than dudes that were it.

    When you watch Mondo, he has the one thing that Bubka and Lavallenie had that pretty much none of the rest of them have...elite runway speed. At this meet it was the same way. There was Mondo and a big gap to everyone else.
    Mondo has every possible gift and drive to make maximum use of it all. As you say, there are a thousand guys who could have been it. Barring the normal injury caveates i’m pretty sure he is going to start to take over the top ten vault list.

    Nilsen has an excellent coach so perhaps he can avoid the pitfalls of the next 2-3 years.

    Lavillenie doesn’t seem to have that speed any more. When he was younger he really did tear up the runway.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Lavillenie doesn’t seem to have that speed any more. When he was younger he really did tear up the runway.
    He's not in the same class with Mondo when it comes to speed if you believe the results from his IAAF page.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    He's not in the same class with Mondo when it comes to speed if you believe the results from his IAAF page.
    From a 100 perspective that is definitely true. I’m not sure about 30-40m though.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    When you watch Mondo, he has the one thing that Bubka and Lavallenie had that pretty much none of the rest of them have...elite runway speed. At this meet it was the same way. There was Mondo and a big gap to everyone else.
    Id say Bubka and Mondo have runway speed in common. Renaud Lavallenie, not so much.
    Last edited by user4; 06-07-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    "Nelsin jumped very well, a couple of bars stayed up that defied physics lol.
    He just got over higher bars that is all and now 2x NCAA Champ."

    "That is all"? You make it sound like it's no big deal. It's the ONLY thing. Mondo got BEAT, at the most important meet of the year for a college athlete.

    No need to twist things around and make excuses for Mondo.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    No need to twist things around and make excuses for Mondo.
    Who's doing that? Mondo couldn't get his poles/standards right; that's part of the game. He lost fair and square.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •