Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    how to lose your substitute-teaching job
    Administrator

2. Collapse Details

I'd love to take his side.
    I correct my students all the time, but never in a contentious manner, which seems his modus operandi. Being a pedantic jerk is indeed a reason for termination.
    When I make a mistake (gasp!), I expect my students to correct me too, but in the manner which I have treated them. We all have a good laugh and more on. About two weeks ago I INSISTED I was right about something, and a girl asked if she could google it on her phone, and of course I was wrong! It happens.

3. Collapse Details

I would find this guy a little more persuasive if his article did not contain two minor departures from standard English.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I would find this guy a little more persuasive if his article did not contain two minor departures from standard English.
    As someone who has taught AP English LANGUAGE for 20 years and graded the AP Exam for 10, I am abashed to admit how often I have erred when posting, even though I am a stickler for proper usage (grammar and spelling are a whole nuther can'o'worms)!
    I have long since abandoned many of the school-marm 'rules' (can't end a sentence with a preposition; can't split an infinitive; can't begin a sentence with 'But' or 'And', etc.), but the use of who/whom, the subjunctive case, noun/pronoun agreement, subject/verb agreement, etc., are the hallmarks of an educated person, and unless you want to look like a fool to those who do understand our language, you'd better do it right.

[The underscored is the lecture I give my students on Day 1 of the year and they take it to heart, never giving me the 'does it really matter?' whine!]

5. Collapse Details

I have never been a teacher. Apparently, I would only last one day.

6. Collapse Details

I would estimate the number of classes for which I was a sub at 500 or more, including inner city schools with bullet holes in staff room windows, and schools in the most affluent Toronto neighborhoods. Since I haven't been able to listen to what this man was saying, I can only
    take a guess as to his tone of voice when he said -

"This is your native language, people! Second grade mistakes — not distinguishing between 'your' and 'you’re,' misspelling ex(c)ercise, leaving off caps and periods — from freshmen and sophomores are unacceptable … "

Not a great choice of words and if (most likely) coupled with an equally ill-advised scolding tone, I'm not surprised he got the boot. You don't endear yourself to kids by talking down to them.

7. Collapse Details

TrackCanuck is probably right. I must have been to tone.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    I would estimate the number of classes for which I was a sub at 500 or more, including inner city schools with bullet holes in staff room windows, and schools in the most affluent Toronto neighborhoods. Since I haven't been able to listen to what this man was saying, I can only
    take a guess as to his tone of voice when he said -

"This is your native language, people! Second grade mistakes — not distinguishing between 'your' and 'you’re,' misspelling ex(c)ercise, leaving off caps and periods — from freshmen and sophomores are unacceptable … "

Not a great choice of words and if (most likely) coupled with an equally ill-advised scolding tone, I'm not surprised he got the boot. You don't endear yourself to kids by talking down to them.
    I've substituted years ago .... all ages and subjects...poor schools, rich schools....I pointed out errors all the time....I never had any problems like this dude....sort of a bit of a whinner...

9. Collapse Details

The posts so far include "his", "this guy", "he", and "this dude". Interesting assumption.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    The posts so far include "his", "this guy", "he", and "this dude". Interesting assumption.
    Well, it's kind of a give-away at the end where it says:

You can reach him at: keyronmcd@gmail.com.