Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

I see quite a bit of the Tennis Channel this time of year because my wife was a college tennis player. It becomes our default channel.

I have to say that at the end of two weeks of a grand slam watching primarily singles, I find it a bit dull and repetitive. I mean I love the 800 meters but even I would not want to watch only 800 meter races for an entire OG or WC.

It seems to this casual observer that the tennis folks shoot themselves in the foot by not showing more doubles matches to create some variety. And I find the doubles inherently more interesting to watch.

As to the age factor, that would knock out a bunch of Olympic sports.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-03-2019 at 02:38 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Tennis is a sport I really enjoy watching -- IMO the product is presented well by their broadcasters. I don't tire of watching excellent singles matches, but as noted just above, I would really enjoy seeing doubles play also.

As for the sportswriter whose piece created this thread, one most reliable way to get people to read and react to your work is to state something outrageous, whether it has any merit or not. Perhaps better if it does not.

40-something golfers winning major tournaments would make that 'sport' suspect too. No one there is winning at the highest level right now at the advanced age of decrepitude of 47, but close enough. (NOTE: I am being sarcastic here: I think golf is as much a sport as anything else.)

3. Collapse Details

Why pick on doubles? Tennis as an Olympic sport became wholly redundant the moment they added ping pong to the games.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    Why pick on doubles? Tennis as an Olympic sport became wholly redundant the moment they added ping pong to the games.
    Which was added in 1988 at the same games as tennis was re-introduced.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Not in my book, but road cycling seems to be a 'endurance muscle' sport, and just as with 40-something DTers and HTers excelling, one can continue to build that after one's 'athletic' peak.
    That for me is a valid point. I don't think the fact that a 47 year old could very conceivably compete at the Olympics in the DT, HT, marathon or 50K Walk while the same thing happening in, for example, the sprint hurdles or high jump seems very unlikely does not negate the legimitacy of the former as Olympic events. I find the writer's argument somewhat specious.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    there is like zero money for women's cycling.....
    It seems to be that there are at any one time something like 300 professional male road cyclists riding regularly internationally on the various tours and big one day races. The equivalent figure for women is probably more like 20 or 30.

7. Collapse Details

What, exactly, IS a "meaningful" sport ?

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    On the topic of meaningless Olympic sports...doubles would hardly lead the list....
    .. and that list is long.

9. Collapse Details

One my older patients was struck in her left flank by a ball hit by her partner. She was in the OR several hours later for a splenectomy, for a ruptured spleen. I should email that one to McEnroe.