Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    And he'll spend his life being pitied for his 'differences', instead of seeing all the amazing abilities he's been given.
    I went to elementary school with a kid who could play any instrument with a keyboard and play any song without the ability to read music. He was an extremely poor student and likely had some form of autism.

He was similar to Mr. Lee although he was not blind. The Nuns didn't like him because of his scholastic inability except when he was needed to play the fantastic pipe organ the church had (and has since been removed in the name of progress about 20 years ago). Fellow students liked him however.

He eventually became a professional musician playing in multiple bands and by himself. I don't recall any pity towards him ever. He passed away about 5 years ago having accomplished more than probably 95% of the students he went to elementary school with.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It's viewer voting, so there is no prize to give now, but a lot of these shows are more about the back-story than the talent, and he's got both in spades.
    You didn't recognize that I was joking about handing him the winner's prize?

Anyway, things are about to get quite a bit different for a couple of the small venues where he regularly performs.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/30/kodi-...ht-satellites/
    Paul tells us Kodi has a gig with the Temecula-based cover band, Midnight Satellites, scheduled for June 7, but after his 'AGT' appearance ... it's become a WAY bigger deal.

The owner says they've been flooded with calls for reservations, and the pub had to send out a message to regulars to reserve spots ... because the venue's almost totally booked.

Kodi and Midnight Satellites have another show at the Old Town Blues Club on July 6, and its owner, Andy Doty, tells us they're preparing for it to be "insane."

Doty says Kodi's already a local legend and always plays to a packed house, but the club's expanding its capacity -- from 75 to 200 people -- and will be ready in time for Kodi's band to rock.

Other changes for the show -- a cover charge (they're not dumb), and extra security for the much larger crowd.

3. Collapse Details

Yesterday was the finals with the top 10 acts, and this was his performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bwK05Oja2c

Tonight was the results show, and...

He won!

But his victory wasn't a foregone conclusion. There were a few who I thought were within reach of beating him, particularly the dance & acrobatics group V.Unbeatable and the 10-year-old girl (Emanne Beasha) who sings opera like a grown woman. And I didn't think any of his three performances during the competition were as great as his audition.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 09-19-2019 at 02:26 AM.

4. Collapse Details

To each his own. .. My vote for pure talent goes to the 11 year old girl opera sing.. for entertainment to the VUnbeatables dance/acrobatic crew from India...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    To each his own. .. My vote for pure talent goes to the 11 year old girl opera sing.. for entertainment to the VUnbeatables dance/acrobatic crew from India...
    Both of them have a great future. Sometimes it's better to reach the finals and then not win, so you get the exposure from competing in all the rounds, but without the contractual obligations attached to the winner's prize, which isn't as much money as it sounds.

The stated $1 million is paid over 40 years, with a lump sum option of roughly $600K, which becomes less than $400K after taxes.

Also of note is that the now-11 year old opera singer (she just turned 11 on the day of the last results show) had already won Arabs Got Talent in 2017. She's from Jordan, but she and her family now live in Florida. I hope they'll use her first name Emanne by itself as her stage name.

Speaking of names, by now they should change the show's name to World's Got Talent or something else that represents the global nature of what the show has become. In recent years they've had so many acts from outside America who are neither US citizens nor established legal residents, including top contestants from the "Got Talent" franchises in other countries, that it's no longer just about America's talent.

6. Collapse Details

My wife and I like Benicio the best.
    But Kodi is a great talent.