Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Kodi Lee - prodigious musical savant
    Plays 6 instruments, can sing and play any song from memory after hearing it just once... and he's blind and autistic.

If you haven't already seen his audition on America's Got Talent this week, here it is (on the AGT official YouTube channel):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDPdRYF7hTQ

He's been performing live at small gigs for years. Here's a few:

Rosanna (Toto): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDC2LsviSdc
    All of Me (John Legend): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fLpyxPYsEo
    Georgia on My Mind (Ray Charles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3uq--2k4k

The Sound of Silence/Simon & Garfunkel (in a studio): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3DkrAb-To

Lee's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ...Yth_fPtcYd46fw
    Last edited by 18.99s; 05-30-2019 at 11:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details

On Rosanna he even plays the horn part. Fantastic.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    On Rosanna he even plays the horn part. Fantastic.
    I watched the show. Autism is a very wide spectrum of neural differences, and, irrespective of the savantism, which is a not uncommon side-effect of autism, he is not typical of what we commonly think of as autistic.
    There were moments of true beauty in his singing; at other times you could hear his neural differences.
    He is a wonderful performer, and I wonder if they didn't make the rest of the season anti-climactic. Who would NOT vote for him?

4. Collapse Details

OTOH, getting the Golden Buzzer, I don't think he has to compete again until the finals.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    OTOH, getting the Golden Buzzer, I don't think he has to compete again until the finals.
    The Golden buzzer only gets him to the first round of live TV performances, skipping the stage where the judges cut some 100-200 acts down to a few dozen. Then after getting through the first round of live TV, there's still at least 1 more round to compete in before the final.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 05-30-2019 at 10:56 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Thanks 18.99 for great video feed. As a Child Neurologist I have seen the whole spectrum of Autism and of course blindness is not one of the features but his social interactions and body rocking are. He appears to have a good grasp of receptive verbal communication skills with the judges. His musical and singing talents are far superior to most non-autistic persons. I wonder if he can read music?

Another spectacular autistic performer is Mikey Brannigan, the sub four minute miler who could not get an athletic scholarship to a NCAA division 1 school. He was ranked 4th in the 2015 top high school milers (behind Fisher, Maton, Hunter) with a 4:01.77 (1600 m).

He broke four minutes at 3:57.58 when he was still 19 yrs of age which is 1.12 seconds faster than Herb Elliott ran when he was 19 years of age which was World Jr (under 20 new definition).

Great video on life and future of Mikey Brannigan on internet. It says US Olympic Team has him training for 2024 Olympic spot and become first Para-Olympian and Olympian to medal.

There is a purpose and spot for everyone on this earth.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    There is a purpose and spot for everyone on this earth.
    And he'll spend his life being pitied for his 'differences', instead of seeing all the amazing abilities he's been given.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    He is a wonderful performer, and I wonder if they didn't make the rest of the season anti-climactic. Who would NOT vote for him?
    It's like they should just give him the winner's prize right now and make everybody else fight for second place, right?

I watched some of the older videos on his YouTube channel ... although he was already very good a few years ago as a teenager, his voice didn't yet have the power and polish that was demonstrated on the AGT stage.

I like that his parents patiently waited until he was at the point where he'd become a favorite to win it, unlike the umpteen forgettable early-teenage singers over the years who probably would have done better on the show (and after it) if they had spent another 2 to 5 years improving their vocal or piano/guitar skills before auditioning.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    It's like they should just give him the winner's prize right now and make everybody else fight for second place, right?
    It's viewer voting, so there is no prize to give now, but a lot of these shows are more about the back-story than the talent, and he's got both in spades.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    And he'll spend his life being pitied for his 'differences', instead of seeing all the amazing abilities he's been given.
    By some people, while others like the audience in the America's Got Talent video, will recognize, appreciate, and applaud what they witness.