Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NCAA Championships In One Year
    I'm not sure what the NCAA record is for the most NCAA championships won by a division one school in one school year, but I imagine Stanford must be getting close this year. Already this year they have won NCAA championships in women's volleyball, women's swimming, women's water polo, women's tennis, and men's gymnastics.

Today (Wednesday) the Stanford men play Texas for the NCAA golf championships. If their men win today against Texas, I believe that would be six NCAA championships in one school year. Not bad and they are hosting the Pre Classic next month.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Not hard when you have the money to pay for all those sports...and a school that attracts suburban athletes ..especially women's sports... and men's gymnastics which hardly anyone competes in anymore...Oregon had it...my brother was on the team....but the university dropped it...

3. Collapse Details

Stanford won the NCAA men's golf championship today. That, I believe, makes six national championships in one school year. Money or not, that's impressive. Now, let's see, the NCAA track and field championships are next week.

4. Collapse Details

FWIW...a study put out in June '18 didn't have Stanford in the top 10 in terms of spending on athletics. Texas, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, Florida State, Oregon, Kansas, Mississippi and Tennessee were the top ten.

Maybe there's another study which has different rankings.

Stanford or any school winning as often as they have across the sports is difficult to do despite the athletic budget.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    FWIW...a study put out in June '18 didn't have Stanford in the top 10 in terms of spending on athletics. Texas, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, Florida State, Oregon, Kansas, Mississippi and Tennessee were the top ten.

Maybe there's another study which has different rankings.

Stanford or any school winning as often as they have across the sports is difficult to do despite the athletic budget.
    I'll echo Conor Dary's point. They may not spend as much total money as some of the schools with HUGE football budgets, but they do have teams in sports that some of those top ten schools don't. (If I had the time, which I don't, I'd check those schools' sites and do the count.)

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    [Stanford] may not spend as much total money as some of the schools with HUGE football budgets, but they do have teams in sports that some of those top ten schools don't.
    Their biggest recruitment tool is just getting into the school. SU led the nation in lowest acceptance rate with 4.3%. That number soars a great deal for 'preferred' athletes.
    They also have the second-best yield-rate (kids who are accepted and go there), so if a great athlete gets in, it's almost assured they'll go.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oregon may spend gobs but they still only have the minimum number of sports...Most of it goes to football...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-30-2019 at 01:41 AM.

8. Collapse Details

So it's not that they have more gobs of money, the school just allocates it differently.

Different argument

9. Collapse Details

I was actually in attendance for their title in men's gymnastics. They upset 4 time defending champs Oklahoma! Frankly, the cheer from the team is sometimes bigger from the crowd at events like that, but the quality of the athletes was pretty high. Sure, it doesn't have the depth of some sports, but at the top level, i don't imagine that it suffers all that much. It is sad that the opportunities are still contracting though. I guess UIC is cutting their mens AND women's teams after this past season

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Their biggest recruitment tool is just getting into the school. SU led the nation in lowest acceptance rate with 4.3%. That number soars a great deal for 'preferred' athletes.
    They also have the second-best yield-rate (kids who are accepted and go there), so if a great athlete gets in, it's almost assured they'll go.
    Atticus - isn't it true that most of those who end up at Stanford are the ones who didn't get accepted at Duke??? FOTFLMAO