Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    D-Day 75 years later
    75th anniversary of D-Day occurs in a few days. Just watched this which you may find interesting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/eisenh...0-years-later/

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Powerful stuff there...

3. Collapse Details

I've been to many places in the world, but few are as memorable as Normandy. It is one thing to see Saving Private Ryan or The Longest Day, but nothing is quite the same as actually standing on the hill/cliff overlooking Omaha Beach, with German gun emplacements still there, and seeing what the troops had to do in 1944. It was stunning. Of course, the cemeteries were moving, as were several exhibits in the area commemorating D-Day. It's a few hours drive from Paris, and if you have some time to spare in that part of the world, I highly recommend it.

4. Collapse Details

Second what tandfman said. I had never been until September 2018 when my wife and I did a 2-week WW2 tour of Europe and spent 3 days in and around Normandy. When you see the cliffs at Omaha Beach, knowing the German gunners were atop the cliffs, you have to wonder how anybody survived storming that beach. Brave men.

5. Collapse Details

Yikes, Ike and Cronkite walking the Normandy cemetery. It doesn't get more poignant that that.

6. Collapse Details

Excellent video, bambam1729. I graduated from high school shortly after that D-Day anniversary in 1964 and still find it hard to believe it's been 75 years since 1944. Some of you may have been alive at the 75th anniversary marking the end of our Civil War. That was in April of 1940. D-Day would happen in another four years from that Civil War anniversary.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar
    Some of you may have been alive at the 75th anniversary marking the end of our Civil War. That was in April of 1940.
    Not absolutely sure, but AFAIK, Lonewolf and I are the only regulars of this message board born prior to 1940.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

Yep. I was born 66 years after Civil War, 13 years after WWI. There were still many Civil War veterans alive then, including one of my great grandfathers.
    In the 1930s-40s, most adult men were WWI veterans and Memorial Day was called Decoration Day. It was a big deal. Every one wore paper poppies and went to the cemetery.