Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Relay Athletes Carry Naturally
    Happy birthday today (Monday) to two Olympic champions with a total of two Olympic gold medals and one Olympic bronze medal.

There were no hurdles involved in any of those medals.

When our younger athlete was born, the older person was already 56 years old, although some may say this older individual had a different birthday in May.

These two athletes competed in a total of three Olympic Games.

You might like to know that one of our birthday athletes competed in three different events at the Olympics.

Did I tell you that both athletes won their Olympic gold medals in the same Olympic stadium?

Most of my research shows that both birthday athletes were born on a Friday on this day in May.

One of our birthday athletes turns 59 today.

Both of these people were born during Olympic years (St. Louis and Rome).

Can you name these two Olympic champions for this Memorial Day? Please try.

2. Collapse Details

"Relay" the clue...USA m4x400m runner in LA 1984 R.R. Armstead is the younger. No idea who the elder is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NucA0Z3qs_I
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 05-27-2019 at 11:45 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Happy 59th birthday today to Ray Armstead and very good, thedoorknobbroke. You got him. Armstead ran the second leg (43.97) on the winning four by 400 relay in Los Angeles. Armstead's only Olympics was the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

4. Collapse Details

So the older one was born in 1904 and won gold in 1932, competed in 2 Olympics in a total of 3 events, none of which involved hurdles?

Given that birthdate I think it is more likely that the other Games was 1928 rather than 1936 but I am stuck.

5. Collapse Details

Given the title of the thread, I assume the other winner had the initials CN. But that leaves me as stuck as Trickstat.

6. Collapse Details

Yes, the older of the two had the initials C.N. This athlete did compete in 1928 and 1932, but won gold and bronze in Los Angeles. Both birthday athletes from yesterday ran the relay at the Olympics, but this older athlete did not win any Olympic medals in the relay.

7. Collapse Details

I could not resist and looked it up. I'll tip my hat to whoever gets this.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

I don't usually wear a hat, but I, too, will tip my hat to the person who gets the older birthday athlete from yesterday (Monday).

Another hint for you. This athlete ran the second leg on the four by 100 relay at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic final three days after winning that Olympic gold medal.

9. Collapse Details

Chuhei Nambu?

(If he ran in the relay I've completely forgotten that, but I can't see who else it could be.)

10. Collapse Details

A tip of ours hats to you LopenUupunut. Chuhei Nambu (Japan) was born 115 years ago yesterday. He lived to be 93 when he died about 22 years ago. Nambu won the Los Angeles triple jump with a world record of 15.72 (51' 7") on the first Thursday of August in 1932. He won the bronze medal in the long jump just two days before winning that triple jump gold medal.

The Japanese four by 100 relay placed fifth in the final with Nambu running their second leg.

Chuhei Nambu did the same three events four years before Los Angeles in Amsterdam (1928). In Amsterdam, he was fourth in the triple jump and didn't make the final in the long jump or the relay.

Just 52 years after Nambu won gold in the Los Angeles Coliseum, Ray Armstead won gold in the same stadium and the same month (August), and exactly one week after Nambu won his gold medal.