Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Ad Blocker

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Read a book...

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    It's an arms race. First came ads, then came the ad blockers, then the ad blocker detectors, then the ad blocker detector killers, then the ad blocker detector killer detectors ... who will win?
    In what's now decades (!) on the internet I've never felt the need to worry about any Ad-blocking protocols. Don't like it? Ignore it and move on.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    In what's now decades (!) on the internet I've never felt the need to worry about any Ad-blocking protocols. Don't like it? Ignore it and move on.
    If only it were that simple. Some sites have ads that suck CPU and memory resources to the point that it crashes the browser on lower-end devices like my Android tablet and Chromebook. Or suck so much bandwidth (esp. with auto-playing video) that some sites become unusable in low-bandwidth environments like airport wifi.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 05-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.

4. Collapse Details

That's the way I feel. I once clicked on an ad-blocking thing on a site that I was viewing and it told me I could get an ad blocker for a monthly fee. I didn't sign up. Ads are a minor annoyance at worst. It]s easy enough to do as gh does--ignore them and move on.

5. Collapse Details

I had to finally give up on my ad-blocker, because many of the links I click on are seen as pop-up ads and are blocked.

6. Collapse Details

That's what I thought until a few years ago when, thanks to a virus delivered through an ad on an obscure website called trackandfieldnews.com, I had to rebuild a laptop from a low-level format of the hard drive through a fresh OS install and recovery. Ad-blockers are good . . .

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    thanks to a virus delivered through an ad
    As long as I've had the free Malwarebytes program, I haven't had any problems.

8. Collapse Details

I am not very computer savvy but I have a local computer guru who put an ad blocker on my computer (free) and it is great. Not one link has been has been blocked and the only site that absolutely would not let me in with ad blocker in place was KellyBlueBook..kbb.com...when I wanted to value my car. Ads suck and ad blockers are great!