Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Ad Blocker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    No, but the things that some people post on the forum include links to articles on the websites of newspapers that will restrict block or limit access to online content unless you are a subscriber. Some of those sites won't let you look at anything beyond a headline and maybe a paragraph of an article. Other sites limit you to a few views (generally 5 or fewer) per month.
    But that has nothing to do with ad blockers...

I subscribe to a few papers like the Times and the Post...so if I link to an article I try to post a short part that gives you the gist...

2. Collapse Details

No, but the things that some people post on the forum include links to articles on the websites of newspapers that will restrict block or limit access to online content unless you are a subscriber. Some of those sites won't let you look at anything beyond a headline and maybe a paragraph of an article. Other sites limit you to a few views (generally 5 or fewer) per month.
    Yes. Thant is my problem. I can't subscribe to every newspaper/magazine that has an article posted on the forum.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    But that has nothing to do with ad blockers...
    I know that, but I was responding to what lonewolf was specifically referring to--links to newspaper articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I subscribe to a few papers like the Times and the Post...so if I link to an article I try to post a short part that gives you the gist...
    I, too, subscribe to the NYTimes and the WaPo, and I do post short quotes with links to articles on their sites, but I probably don't do that as often as I should.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    The most popular ad blocker is probably Adblock Plus which shows up in your browser bar as a red stop sign symbol with ABP in the middle of the stop sign.
    Just slide the on/off switch to the left and click refresh - the website is now allowed to display ads. Just reverse the process to block ads again on that site.
    Yep. tried that, was offered six ad blockers, none of which, or any others, are on my browser or program/app list.;

5. Collapse Details

Are any of these ad blockers free? If you use them, do they block just ads, or also websites or pages that include ads?

Actually, I can accept a reasonable amount of advertising on the web. I ignore almost all of it and I recognize that some of it is enabling me to see free content (including social media content) that has to be paid for somehow.

6. Collapse Details

I'd get someone else and reboot the whole system if you are so unhappy....I have no idea what is going on...what browser do you use? Try Firefox ...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-25-2019 at 08:10 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Are any of these ad blockers free? If you use them, do they block just ads, or also websites or pages that include ads?

Actually, I can accept a reasonable amount of advertising on the web. I ignore almost all of it and I recognize that some of it is enabling me to see free content (including social media content) that has to be paid for somehow.
    They are free...at least on Firefox.... you can opt out for certain sites like here if you want...

They primarily block ads...sometimes but rarely they block some pop up you want to look at...then just disable the blocker read what you want and then turn it back on.

Besides the lack of ads your browser will run much faster since it's not loading a lot of crap.

8. Collapse Details

I have noticed recently that these days a lot of news sites (probably more than half) require disabling the Ad Blocker to view stories ("white-listing").

And, unfortunately, Ad Blockers do not (as far as I know) block the annoying Outbrain and Taboola links.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Yes. Thant is my problem. I can't subscribe to every newspaper/magazine that has an article posted on the forum.
    You're not alone in that.

Not sure this is an issue pointing to any ad-blockers.
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 05-25-2019 at 09:05 PM.

10. Collapse Details

I think ublock origin does which I use..

White listing is easy if you support a site...like here....or they don't let you pass...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-25-2019 at 09:31 PM.