Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Ad Blocker

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ad Blocker
    After my recent hacker ransom attack I bought a new computer and reluctantly converted to Windows 10.
    Apparently, the puter people installed an ad blocker. I cannot watch half the links.
    Program/app removal instructions say go to Control Panel, and uninstall offending program.I cannot find an ad blocker program/app/icon on my computer.
    ????????????

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    It's in your browser...

Considering your malware history....perhaps not seeing all those links would be more prudent....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-24-2019 at 08:36 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    It's in your browser...

Considering your malware history....perhaps not seeing all those links would be more prudent....
    I have 3 adblockers on my browser and never have any problems with any links.

4. Collapse Details

It's in your browser...

Not just ads. I am talking about the newspaper articles in the forum that are blocked unless I subscribe.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Not just ads. I am talking about the newspaper articles in the forum that are blocked unless I subscribe.
    The most popular ad blocker is probably Adblock Plus which shows up in your browser bar as a red stop sign symbol with ABP in the middle of the stop sign.

If you can see this symbol in your browser and want to allow ads on a particular website, just click on the stop sign, and you will see a section at the top which says,
    Block ads on:

websiteABC.com
    beside the text will be a slider with a coloured on/off switch symbol like you see on electrical equipment.

Just slide the on/off switch to the left and click refresh - the website is now allowed to display ads. Just reverse the process to block ads again on that site.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I've never had that happen....ad blockers won't block links in the forum...

I don't know what they installed on your computer...

7. Collapse Details

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that websites were saying "turn off your adblocker if you want to read this article".

If this is the message you are getting, then my previous post explains how to turn off your adblocking (for Adblock plus) for the site you want to read.

If a website is saying "you can't read this website unless you subscribe (pay us money or set up an account so we can spam your email)", then that shouldn't be caused by the adblocker, that will happen with or without it.

The best thing you can do is get your computer guys to sit with you while you do your daily surfing and show you what to do when you hit a blockage.

Otherwise, let us know what browser you are using and which sites cause you problems, so we can see if we can replicate the issue.

8. Collapse Details

.ad blockers won't block links in the forum...
    No, but the things that some people post on the forum include links to articles on the websites of newspapers that will restrict block or limit access to online content unless you are a subscriber. Some of those sites won't let you look at anything beyond a headline and maybe a paragraph of an article. Other sites limit you to a few views (generally 5 or fewer) per month.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    No, but the things that some people post on the forum include links to articles on the websites of newspapers that will restrict block or limit access to online content unless you are a subscriber.
    Some of those 'restrictions' can be circumvented by going to 'Incognito' mode, which is accomplished by holding down the CTRL and SHIFT keys and then pressing N.

10. Collapse Details

Or you could just pay for content, help it keep coming.