Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
  1. Collapse Details

This is for folks who know the jumpoff rules, which I don't. I was looking at the jumpoff in the West men's high jump.

https://dt8v5llb2dwhs.cloudfront.net/West/013-1-JO.htm

Suppose one of those 6 athletes jumping for 3 spots had a belief that 2.14 was possible for them but 2.16, no way. Could that athlete pass the first jump of the jumpoff at 2.16 and save themselves for a jump at 2.14? Or do you have to take every jump in a jumpoff?

2. Collapse Details

This may apply (from the NCAA Rules, Rule 7, Section 1, Article 7.c.1):

1. Competitors so tying must jump once on each occasion when resolving the tie.

3. Collapse Details

The whole point of the meet is to qualify for the NCAA finals June 5-8 in Austin, TX. 12 athletes per event from each region get to compete in Austin. For example, in the W 400H, 48 hurdlers competed in six heats, with the top 3 and next 6 advancing to the next round, which was called the quarterfinals. The 24 "quarterfinalists" competed in three races, qualifying 3 + 3 to go to Austin where they will run semifinals and a final. Same thing in the other region, so 24 will contest the semis in Austin.

Lots of posters on the T&FN Message Board really hate this setup; who wants to watch a meet where it doesn't matter who wins? Maybe those people go to a global championship and don't attend the morning sessions, only wanting to see the semis and finals. The first time I attended an AAU championship meet (1962 or 3, I think), I realized how cool it is to see rounds, the strategy involved, who takes it as easy as possible, who wastes energy running faster than they need to to qualify, who is "under wraps", etc. etc. Later, when I went to the Olympics in LA, I was in hog heaven, getting to see three or four rounds of the short races, prelims in the field events, heats and finals in the long races. I could watch the NCAA Regionals with the same mindset I have watching the preliminary rounds at a global meet.

I really think this is a pretty good solution to the problem they have -- getting a large number of competitors to have a chance to run in the NCAA, without having to beat them to death running multiple rounds in three days. This way, they have a couple of weeks to rest before the semis and finals. I'm sure the 5/10 doublers appreciate it.

If I hadn't been going down to Clovis for the CA state meet, I would have gone to this, even though I HATE Hornet Stadium.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    T.... I realized how cool it is to see rounds, the strategy involved, who takes it as easy as possible, who wastes energy running faster than they need to to qualify, who is "under wraps", etc. etc. Later, when I went to the Olympics in LA, I was in hog heaven, getting to see three or four rounds of the short races, prelims in the field events, heats and finals in the long races. I could watch the NCAA Regionals with the same mindset I have watching the preliminary rounds at a global meet....
    except the mindset doesn't work in a meet where there's a 2-week break between round 2 and round 3. It's two completely different competitions. And half the peoiple you'll compete against in the second meet won't have been in the same preliminary meet as you, so options for tactics are pretty much out the door.

5. Collapse Details

Very true. Way different from a World Championships and/or an Olympic Games.

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    except the mindset doesn't work in a meet where there's a 2-week break between round 2 and round 3. It's two completely different competitions. And half the peoiple you'll compete against in the second meet won't have been in the same preliminary meet as you, so options for tactics are pretty much out the door.
    Perhaps these regional rounds should be scheduled 1 week before the NCAA championships. That could lend more credence to the regional concept.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    It works for me, Garry. What's the difference between competing in two different meets and competing in different heats in the same meet? Tactics are not out the door at all, in my view. If you can't hold the mindset for two weeks, I'm sorry. If you can't enjoy the meet, I'm sorry, too.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Perhaps these regional rounds should be scheduled 1 week before the NCAA championships. That could lend more credence to the regional concept.
    But one of the good things about it is that there is time to rest up, which should result in better races in the finals.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    But one of the good things about it is that there is time to rest up, which should result in better races in the finals.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Alan, I liked the idea that the conditioning of the athlete was more in play, that you had to be able to complete the rounds in a few days. My own sense is that 1 week is right, two weeks is too much. I like the regional concept because it brings the NCAA championship to different locations and gives opportunity for more coverage. But two weeks just disconnects these preliminary rounds just a bit too much from the penultimate championship.