Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    NCAA East/West Regionals
    Start lists for the meets (23-25th) are posted here.
    http://www.rtspt.com/ncaa/d1outdoor19/

2. Collapse Details

I watched these meetings for the first time on Flotrack last year and I loved them! 48 down to 12 in each event and so much on the line!

For me it wasn't so much about the winners but about those who just managed to sneak through to the big day. Crazy kicks on the last lap to just secure the last auto spot, desperate lunges for the line or just getting through as a time qualifier by a tiny margin. And, the celebrations and the heartaches!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    I watched these meetings for the first time on Flotrack last year and I loved them! 48 down to 12 in each event and so much on the line!

For me it wasn't so much about the winners but about those who just managed to sneak through to the big day. Crazy kicks on the last lap to just secure the last auto spot, desperate lunges for the line or just getting through as a time qualifier by a tiny margin. And, the celebrations and the heartaches!
    While I admire your enthusiasm and positive outlook, a multitude of long-time NCAA T&F observers vent on these boards every year about what an awful waste of time the Regional/Prelims are.

Link to last year's thread, where most of the first 20 posts were critical of the set-up.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...NCAA-Regionals

4. Collapse Details

East Region at UNF, Jacksonville, FL where the first 100' temp of the year is predicted for this Memorial Day.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    East Region at UNF, Jacksonville, FL where the first 100' temp of the year is predicted for this Memorial Day.
    Forecasts highs for the meet (from weather.gov) 90,93 and 96 (heat index 99). Oh well normal high in Austin June 5-8 is 91.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    While I admire your enthusiasm and positive outlook, a multitude of long-time NCAA T&F observers vent on these boards every year about what an awful waste of time the Regional/Prelims are.

Link to last year's thread, where most of the first 20 posts were critical of the set-up.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...NCAA-Regionals
    Yeah, I get that the favourites are often trying to conserve energy, just as they would be in the heats/prelims of a World Champs or Olympics. But, that's not always the case. Many of them do go all out even though they don't need to.

However, it's further down the fields where I found the drama expecially if you've been following these athletes over the season/years.

As qualifiers for the NCAA Champs I don't know how they can be considered a waste of time. Are the heats/prelims at a major championships a waste of time? What would people suggest doing otherwise? That there's 2 weeks before the competition continues also isn't a problem for me.

And, as a Brit, I have no interest in there being any team competition aspect to it.

7. Collapse Details

Here's my level of disgust - the East meet is 10 minutes from my house; I'm off from work for the rest of the week; this is the first time I won't be a PV official here . . .
    and I'm not even going to it.

8. Collapse Details

And, as a Brit, I have no interest in there being any team competition aspect to it.
    It is an American thing. You wouldn't understand. LOL!!!! Just messing witcha mate. LOL!!!

9. Collapse Details

As qualifiers for the NCAA Champs I don't know how they can be considered a waste of time. Are the heats/prelims at a major championships a waste of time? What would people suggest doing otherwise?
    I cannot speak for any one else, but when I say the regionals are a waste of time, I am speaking as a spectator. I know you say you are a Brit, but have you ever been to a NCAA Regional meet? I have been to 2 of them and I would never attend another one even if I lived across the street from the stadium.

I liked it when an athlete had to run/jump/throw a qualifying time/distance/height by a certain date. I don't know why, but I am sure the NCAA had a good reason for doing away with that.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    [QUOTE=The Klingon;2704071]I cannot speak for any one else, but when I say the regionals are a waste of time, I am speaking as a spectator. .../QUOTE]

allow me to speak (again) as somebody who was the stadium announcer for at least 2 of these abominations.

The best image I can come up witih is Ted Striker in Airplane: at the end of the first day I felt like his seatmates,, doing things like hanging themselves or lighting themselves on fire not to have to show up for the next day!