Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Commentary on USA ignorance and fear
    No political commentary necessary:

A survey meant to “tease out prejudice among those who didn’t understand the question” found that more than half of Americans believe "Arabic numerals" should not be taught in schools.
    If you don't know, these are Arabic numerals: 1234567890.

2. Collapse Details

In that same survey, 53% of respondents (and 73% of a certain segment of those questioned) didn't believe schools in America should teach the "creation theory of Catholic priest Georges Lemaitre" as part of the science curriculum.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    No political commentary necessary:
    As I'm fond of saying and it really pays off in times like these: 1/2 the population is below average in intelligence. Always.

So...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    In that same survey, 53% of respondents (and 73% of a certain segment of those questioned) didn't believe schools in America should teach the "creation theory of Catholic priest Georges Lemaitre" as part of the science curriculum.
    A.K.A. The Big Bang Theory ...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Well its almost a "trick" question. Of course I've heard of the "Big Bang Theory" but never heard of Georges Lemaitre. And the words "creation theory" sound too close to "creationist" or "creationism" which conjure up a theological explanation rather than the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    Of course I've heard of the "Big Bang Theory" but never heard of Georges Lemaitre.
    Same here. (I wish "me, too" hadn't acquired a whole new, and in most cases irrelevant, meaning.)

7. Collapse Details

Well its almost a "trick" question. Of course I've heard of the "Big Bang Theory" but never heard of Georges Lemaitre. And the words "creation theory" sound too close to "creationist" or "creationism" which conjure up a theological explanation rather than the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe.
    Might be Christopher Lemaitre's rellie.

8. Collapse Details

Well its almost a "trick" question.
    Almost? It absolutely exposed the 73% who opposed it.

Surveys are so easily skewed by the way the questions are asked, most are virtually useless.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Same here. (I wish "me, too" hadn't acquired a whole new, and in most cases irrelevant, meaning.)
    Lemaitre was a 20th Century Belgian priest who was also an astronomer of note. In the spirit of St Thomas Aquinas, he sought to reconcile reason to revelation.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-26-2019 at 02:09 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Yes, I Googled him earlier in the thread. But I hadn't previously heard of him at all.