Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89
  1. Collapse Details
    NCAA East/West Regionals
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,370
    Start lists for the meets (23-25th) are posted here.
    http://www.rtspt.com/ncaa/d1outdoor19/
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    England
    Posts
    170
    I watched these meetings for the first time on Flotrack last year and I loved them! 48 down to 12 in each event and so much on the line!

    For me it wasn't so much about the winners but about those who just managed to sneak through to the big day. Crazy kicks on the last lap to just secure the last auto spot, desperate lunges for the line or just getting through as a time qualifier by a tiny margin. And, the celebrations and the heartaches!
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    I watched these meetings for the first time on Flotrack last year and I loved them! 48 down to 12 in each event and so much on the line!

    For me it wasn't so much about the winners but about those who just managed to sneak through to the big day. Crazy kicks on the last lap to just secure the last auto spot, desperate lunges for the line or just getting through as a time qualifier by a tiny margin. And, the celebrations and the heartaches!
    While I admire your enthusiasm and positive outlook, a multitude of long-time NCAA T&F observers vent on these boards every year about what an awful waste of time the Regional/Prelims are.

    Link to last year's thread, where most of the first 20 posts were critical of the set-up.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...NCAA-Regionals
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    East Region at UNF, Jacksonville, FL where the first 100' temp of the year is predicted for this Memorial Day.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    England
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    While I admire your enthusiasm and positive outlook, a multitude of long-time NCAA T&F observers vent on these boards every year about what an awful waste of time the Regional/Prelims are.

    Link to last year's thread, where most of the first 20 posts were critical of the set-up.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...NCAA-Regionals
    Yeah, I get that the favourites are often trying to conserve energy, just as they would be in the heats/prelims of a World Champs or Olympics. But, that's not always the case. Many of them do go all out even though they don't need to.

    However, it's further down the fields where I found the drama expecially if you've been following these athletes over the season/years.

    As qualifiers for the NCAA Champs I don't know how they can be considered a waste of time. Are the heats/prelims at a major championships a waste of time? What would people suggest doing otherwise? That there's 2 weeks before the competition continues also isn't a problem for me.

    And, as a Brit, I have no interest in there being any team competition aspect to it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,737
    Here's my level of disgust - the East meet is 10 minutes from my house; I'm off from work for the rest of the week; this is the first time I won't be a PV official here . . .
    and I'm not even going to it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    While I admire your enthusiasm and positive outlook, a multitude of long-time NCAA T&F observers vent on these boards every year about what an awful waste of time the Regional/Prelims are.

    Link to last year's thread, where most of the first 20 posts were critical of the set-up.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...NCAA-Regionals
    Track and field is perhaps the only sport where the core fans complain about having too many comps. We have four rounds of best of seven series in the NBA. We should find a way to celebrate the regionals rather than dismiss them.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    We should find a way to celebrate the regionals rather than dismiss them.
    'We' agree.
    The NCAA does not.
    How interesting can a meet be that ends after the qualifying rounds?
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,721
    My frustration is akin to Atticus (except that the Regionals are 400 miles from my house)

    I am not motivated to drive a thousand miles and spend three days to watch 48 athletes take 3 jumps each, go home, wait two weeks and repeat the process for 24 advancing from two Regionals.
    After working 40+ NCAAS (indoor and outdoor), I am sitting this one out.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    My frustration is akin to Atticus (except that the Regionals are 400 miles from my house)
    When did you move away from Oklahoma?!
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •