Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    My favorite counter example is Ashton Eaton. He didn’t show up on anyone’s list. I think he may have been the 400m state champion and then things worked out for him.
    Actually, to serious Dec fans, he was on radars quite early on (maybe Freshman year in college - for those who follow Frank Z on decathlonusa.typepad.com). In HS - he ran 10.8, 21 something, 48 something, and showed some early multi-talent with a 130+ discus. And as a college freshman, scored around 7k.

This is a fun link talking about what a bunch of Olympians did in HS: http://www.espn.com/blog/high-school...and-field-team

And you'll see, even the ones who "weren't great" in HS - were pretty darn good.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    Actually, to serious Dec fans, he was on radars quite early on (maybe Freshman year in college - for those who follow Frank Z on decathlonusa.typepad.com). In HS - he ran 10.8, 21 something, 48 something, and showed some early multi-talent with a 130+ discus. And as a college freshman, scored around 7k.

This is a fun link talking about what a bunch of Olympians did in HS: http://www.espn.com/blog/high-school...and-field-team

And you'll see, even the ones who "weren't great" in HS - were pretty darn good.
    Isn't it amazing that the "weren't great" ones were still their respective state champions or close in several events and often while doing other sports along the way?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dustoff View Post
    Isn't it amazing that the "weren't great" ones were still their respective state champions or close in several events and often while doing other sports along the way?
    Exactly!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post

Best part of the article is it links to Nellum and LB Poly Penn Relay 4x400. Great anchor leg by Nellum.

5. Collapse Details

Where is Nellum now?

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    is that a serious question or are you funnin' with us?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eightsevensix View Post
    Where is Nellum now?
    Bryshon?

8. Collapse Details

Jack,
    Thanks for those splits. Pretty incredible stuff.

I have some sub 45 splits that i am not sure are correct but have seen as reported in old newspaper clippings. Again i can not confirm these

44.7 *Chris Nelloms TAC age group meet in July'89 (Reported split, who knows if accurate)
    44.8 Clinton Davis on the 3:02.46 4x400 in late july international meet in New Britain, CT

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    These 3 stand out to me... wow:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    How about these top..

4. 26-8¼ Carl Lewis (Willingboro, New Jersey) 1979

8. 26-2¼ Ken Duncan (McClatchy, Sacramento, California) 1972

9. 26-2i(A) Jerry Proctor (Muir, Pasadena, California) 1967
    26-2 .. in 1967 ?.. that is Owens-esque, wow!
    Last edited by user4; 06-13-2019 at 04:34 PM.

10. Collapse Details

I just stumbled across this thread, but I can add one more fast split to the list, 44.6 by Bryshon, in the CIF-SS Masters in 2007. (I could look up the date, but it would have been eight days before the first Saturday in June.)