Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Noah Lyles versus Mathew Boling
    As a HS senior, one ran a 10.14 100 meter and the other ran a 10.13.

People seem pretty convinced that Lyles is not quite Bolt, but darned close. They seem equally convinced that Boling is all that in the 400.

Avoiding the whole white versus black thing, what informs people’s intuition that Lyles would be the short sprinter and Lyles a long sprinter? Is one built more like a short sprinter?

How are Boling and Carl Lewis alike or different?

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    i just watched a few videos on the Houston team, Coach Lewis and his approach.. Wow!! Ill just say this , I was a huge King Carl fan but those videos are solid team USA gold !! Coach Carl is building a culture of excellence and care and respect for your team mates that is priceless.

As an athlete he inspired millions for more than a decade and now as a coach, dare I say that he is going to inspire and transform even more. The best is yet to come for Coach Lewis!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    i just watched a few videos on the Houston team, Coach Lewis and his approach.. Wow!! Ill just say this , I was a huge King Carl fan but those videos are solid team USA gold !! Coach Carl is building a culture of excellence and care and respect for your team mates that is priceless.

As an athlete he inspired millions for more than a decade and now as a coach, dare I say that he is going to inspire and transform even more. The best is yet to come for Coach Lewis!!
    Don't know what this has to do with Boling or Lyles.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Don't know what this has to do with Boling or Lyles.
    LOL!!! That's the same thing that I thought. LOL!!LOL!!

And also, what happen to Coach Leroy Burrell? After reading user4's post one would think that Coach Burrell is no longer there. LOL!!LOL!!

5. Collapse Details

Friends, when you mention Carl Lewis you have to know that the subject of the conversation has just changed!

6. Collapse Details

Ok so, Boling’s best HS LJ was a few inches shorter than Lewis’s and Bolling’s best 100 was probably faster.

Aside from the obvious that both were amazing in HS, what does that tell us about Boling’s likely future? There has been one and only one Carl Lewis, but what would tell you that Boling’s no Carl Lewis?

7. Collapse Details

Anyone who follows T&F, knows that high school success is not an indicator of any future success in the sport.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    Anyone who follows T&F, knows that high school success is not an indicator of any future success in the sport.
    I hope someone with a lot more knowledge will look atnBoling and compare him with some of the greats. Of course, many HS phenomena never make it big.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    Jacksf, you and I disagree on the advantage/disadvantage of running in the middle lanes as opposed to the outside (7,8 &9)/inside lanes (1 & 2), but, I wholeheartedly agree that high school success is not an indicator of any future success in the sport. I have seen so many high school phenoms crash and burn. I am hoping this is not the case with Boling.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Ok so, Boling’s best HS LJ was a few inches shorter than Lewis’s and Bolling’s best 100 was probably faster.

Aside from the obvious that both were amazing in HS, what does that tell us about Boling’s likely future? There has been one and only one Carl Lewis, but what would tell you that Boling’s no Carl Lewis?
    First the necessary features of a a great athlete in every sport is not only emense raw talent. There are actually more than a few with Lewis or Boling levels of physical talent. What turns a rare talent into a WC or OG medalist is mental discipline and focus. There is no way to forecast whether an 18 year old has that because an 18 year old mind is not even formed yet. They are growing and learning. Carl Lewis was intelligent, focused and a life long learner of the sport. In his late 20s he was as focused to the craft as he was at 18. Did it help that Carl was raised by two of the most fantastic parents a child could be blessed to have, yes, that was a huge factor. Maturity, character discipline. Only time can sift out the mega physical talents from the mega talents that also have it between the ears.
    Last edited by user4; 05-21-2019 at 01:11 PM.