Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    It's a nice sunny day today here in town....I might go to the game today....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Agree. The pitching rubber needs to be moved back to at least 50 feet from the current 43. Still wouldnt be even close to baseball's distance of 60'6"
    Google just told me that 'good' women pitch 20mph less than men pitch in baseball, so doing the math, the softball rubber should be around 46.6 feet (90 vs. 70mph) to get the same amount of time . . . but men have slightly faster reaction times (does the IAAF know this?!*), so maybe 45' would be comparable.

*edit: just found this
    http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2009/869.pdf

with this interesting quote:

The minimum (humanly) possible reaction times for world-class male and female sprinters are 124 ms and 130 ms, respectively.
    which would make 44.4' (women's pitching distance) the equivalent of 60'6".

I doubt any of these numbers are definitive, but they're in the ball park (pun!!).
    Last edited by Atticus; 05-10-2019 at 09:17 PM.

3. Collapse Details

On the other hand, other things being equal, making a contact with a softball is easier because it is larger.

4. Collapse Details

It may not be true in Division 1, but I sat in on a div. 2 or 3 game at Texas Baptist U. in Marshall, TX a few years back and they do something odd if the game goes into more than a two extra innings:
    In the next inning, for each team, the inning starts with the batter that made the last out in the prior inning perched on 2nd base. Weird.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    the inning starts with the batter that made the last out in the prior inning perched on 2nd base. Weird.
    Small ball! Bunts and sac flies push her around the bases for that all-important run.

6. Collapse Details

I think Lisa Fernandez once lost a Olympic game without giving up a hit or a walk. She was pitching a perfect game until we got to the tiebreak. (And the second base runner scored without a hit.)

7. Collapse Details

It may not be true in Division 1, but I sat in on a div. 2 or 3 game at Texas Baptist U. in Marshall, TX a few years back and they do something odd if the game goes into more than a two extra innings:
    In the next inning, for each team, the inning starts with the batter that made the last out in the prior inning perched on 2nd base. Weird.
    That is also the international softball rule I think.

8. Collapse Details

Speaking of pitchers dominating the sport.

https://sports.yahoo.com/drake-softb...054109680.html

That is the reality of Drake softball pitcher Nicole Newman, who set an NCAA record Friday with her fifth perfect game of the season according to ESPN. All five perfect games have occurred since March 30.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I believe MLB has been tossing this idea around as well