Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    yes, but if Thompson had been a 100 guy and Wells the all-arounder, Thompson (one of the great personalities of all time) would still be the "famous" one.
    I agree personality has a lot to do with it. I would say that Usain Bolt is more famous within the UK than any other overseas track & field athlete has ever been. Of course, personality has a lot to do with that as well but him being a sprinter also helps.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    For what it's worth, 39 years on, I suspect that Thompson is slightly more famous amongst the British public than Wells.
    I tried not to do an ex post facto assessment, remember Thompson was a newly crowned Deca king, not unlike Wells at 100m and Wells had also pulled a 200m silver. As gh mentions the dynamism of Thompson would eventually grow on people. But Wells was king of the dash and with both of them brit stars Im calling it a toss up.

Im going to guess that had the US won the 1976 100m final with Glance I doubt Glance would have outshined Jenner.

My point is that $$s aside, the Decathlon is an incredibly high profile big fame event. Sure you can race for money all over the globe but the OG and WC Decathlon title will always be the earmark of the greatest athlete on earth.
    Last edited by user4; 05-08-2019 at 08:18 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    this off-topic tilt has been moved over from the Boling thread.
    You might consider adding 'Boling" to the thread title - it wasn't until this post, the 30th, that I knew who was being discussed.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Sprinters make way more money. It's not even close.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Someone above had the audacity to mention Billy Mills on a Wheaties box!.. friends, that is going thermonuclear !!.. that is enough to cause user4 after a full days work walking the hall ways of power to go run 8 flights of stairs while the words "look at Mills!!" ring in my ears!!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Sprinters make way more money. It's not even close.
    Yes I suspect, for example, that a 10.00 man makes a lot more money than an 8500 point man. I think a combined eventer has to start winning major champs to start making really good money. An interesting comparison might be Andre de Grasse vs Damian Warner in terms of public recognition within Canada.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Yes I suspect, for example, that a 10.00 man makes a lot more money than an 8500 point man. I think a combined eventer has to start winning major champs to start making really good money. An interesting comparison might be Andre de Grasse vs Damian Warner in terms of public recognition within Canada.
    Yes, in Canada AdG is much better known than DW.