Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Mr. Kipchoge does not check with me prior to making his plans, but if he had checked with me, I would first have assured him that his place in the history of long-distance running is rather well established. Then I would have encouraged him to return to Berlin to see if he could take the WR down further, perhaps even to sub-2:01. And I would have suggested that such a feat at Berlin might perhaps be more historical than a sub-2:00 in a perfectly controlled event that is not record eligible. And then I would have closed by noting that he seems to know his own mind, and has done rather well for himself by pursuing his own goals rather than listening to me, so he should do what he wants.

He is one of the greats, so I'll be paying attention in any case.

2. Collapse Details

It is the lure of the Round Number. I love it. He's the Marathon WR Holder as is, so if he wants to do this thing as well, I can't think of a reason not to. And lo and behold, he manages it, and that inspires him or others to somehow do it in an official setting. Weren't essays written about the four minute mile? Anyhow, I like round number too, so this is exciting to me.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

3. Collapse Details

The Logical, Round Number, like 26 miles 385 yds! :-)

(It would help a bit if they just shortened it to 26 miles even.)

4. Collapse Details

Or for that matter, if the marathon distance were 40km (a very logical round number), sub-2 would have been achieved a long time ago.

5. Collapse Details

I'd rather see him set another legit WR. If it were 'only' a 2:00:xx, so be it. They could set up another race on Monza or another motor race circuit - just by the fact that the course is flat as a pancake, that would give him an advantage over any normal city marathon. Give him more and better pacemakers than ever before, and I think a sub-2:00 would not be totally unrealistic in conditions that would make the time record-eligible. Of course he would need some luck with the weather as well...
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    They should let Mo run and see how long he lasts....

7. Collapse Details

Anyone willing/eager to endure 2 hours of agony has my permission... and blessing..

8. Collapse Details

I'm with Toni Reavis' May 1 blog ... I would love to see him run New York or Boston. No pace setters, just competitors and the course. They probably don't have the budget to bring him over, and I suspect he would be as dominating in that setting as he has been at London, Boston, and the Rio Games. But it would be nice to see him in those settings, with time of secondary importance.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Yea....I'd love to see him run Boston....with a tailwind and do 1:58.....

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion but I don't see any support for it, logical or empirical.

I'd also point out that this is going to be an invented road course with no outside supervision of technical specifications of certification for length. Given the incentives involved, and humans being humans, Kipchoge will not run the distance of a marathoner on an IAAF certified course.
    My guess is that they will make sure that the course is the proper, using IAAF-recognized measurers. Any suggestion of a short course could compromise the validity of the time, in the public's mind. But failure to comply with other IAAF record requirements would probably not. He got all sorts of great publicity from Monza and if he breaks 2 hourse in London, it will be even greater, as long as there's no question that it was timed correctly and he ran the actual marathon distance.