Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Kipchoge Sub 2:00 part 2
    Kipchoge looks to be aiming for a second attempt at the sub 2 barrier this fall. Though most details are limited, it will be sponsored by INEOS, potentially happen in London and they want a big crowd for the event this time.

Here is the promo trailer: https://twitter.com/INEOS159/status/1125173597729951749
    Last edited by ATK; 05-06-2019 at 09:38 AM.

2. Collapse Details

He's saying it's going to happen in the fall. Didn't he just commit to running Berlin?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    He's saying it's going to happen in the fall. Didn't he just commit to running Berlin?
    I don't know that he committed. I think he just said he would skip the World Champs to do Berlin, presumably for a better pay day under better conditions. I imagine that he had an outstanding offer from Berlin, or perhaps he just assumed that they would offer him whatever they did last year. I did not infer from that statement (on Twitter IIRC) that he had actually reached a deal. It now looks as if Berlin has been outbid.

4. Collapse Details

The planned date of the London race is apparently October 13, which is the same date as this year's Chicago Marathon. (Berlin is two weeks earlier).

5. Collapse Details

I'll certainly watch. His last attempt was riveting, however contrived. He was still doing the running.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    This should be fun....

7. Collapse Details

"Kipchoge confirmed that similar banned strategies, including using a pace car that acts as a giant wind-shield and having a phalanx of pacemakers who subbed in and out of the race, would be used in October. 'It’s not about the IAAF, it’s about history,' he explained. 'I really want to leave a big legacy.'”

If it's not per IAAF rules, I doubt the legacy.

The energy involved in moving air out of the way is fundamental to the sport. Running behind a giant windscreen to sub-2 is on par with having a giant wind fan follow Usain Bolt down the track to a sub-9 100m.

To each his own as far as spectator interest but I don't think it will stand up in the verdict of history.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...barrier-london

8. Collapse Details

The windscreen provided almost zero aid....it was the phalanx of pacers that did it....the reporter should know that...

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-p...0-25-marathon/
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-06-2019 at 06:23 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The windscreen provided almost zero aid....it was the phalanx of pacers that did it....
    You're entitled to your opinion but I don't see any support for it, logical or empirical.

I'd also point out that this is going to be an invented road course with no outside supervision of technical specifications of certification for length. Given the incentives involved, and humans being humans, Kipchoge will not run the distance of a marathoner on an IAAF certified course.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion but I don't see any support for it, logical or empirical.

I'd also point out that this is going to be an invented road course with no outside supervision of technical specifications of certification for length. Given the incentives involved, and humans being humans, Kipchoge will not run the distance of a marathoner on an IAAF certified course.
    Okey Dokey....