Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    If that was a track race, no way I think the runner would have been disqualified for what Maximum Security did.
    That's what I thought too.

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    If that was a track race, no way I think the runner would have been disqualified for what Maximum Security did.

Yeah but in a human race lives arent at stake...
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The commentators mentioned that if it had been an ordinary race they would have dqed...

4. Collapse Details

I am not a horse racing expert and did not have a favorite horse in this race but I thought the four abreast jostling at head of the stretch was jusd horse racing.,. hard to keep a 1000# animal in its lane.
    The only horse allegedly impeded was not a factor and finished eighth. The eventually declared winner was not affected. The best horse crossed the finish line first.
    I was surprised Max drifted out coming off the last turn allowing the trailing horse to take the rail but that did not decide the race.
    PIssed me off the commentators , lobbying for a DQ, badgering the jockeys and trainers to claim or admit grounds for DQ before the steward's announcement.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The commentators weren't lobbying for a dq....they thought it should stand...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Right, the consensus of opinion on NBC was that there should be no change in the order of finish. IMHO, as one who has followed horse racing for 50 years (but rarely bets) there was no choice but to DQ Maximum Security. The rule basically says that if you change your path(which MS clearly did) and you impede another horse thereby costing the impeded horse a likely place you will be DQ'd. Max Sec clearly caused a chain reaction that noticeably impeded 3 other horses who lost all chance at attaining their best possible finish. Thus, Max Sec was placed behind the lowest finishing horse whose progress was impeded.This is why it took the Stewards so long to make their decision. They needed to decide how many horses were impeded and where to place Max. Sec. It is impossible to know what it is like trying to control a race horse going 30mph (approx) in front of 150k screaming fans but it must be unbelievably difficult...but the jockey must maintain his horses line...this came close to a multi-horse pile up which could have had extremely negative impact on horse racing given what happened at Santa Anita Park earlier this year. BTW, I wouldn't give a R's A if the sport ended tomorrow. Back in the day the jockey on MS quite possibly would have been given days...meaning a suspension for failing to maintain his horses path. Don't think they do that very often today.
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 05-05-2019 at 04:28 AM.

7. Collapse Details

I got the opposite impression when they kept trying to get the jockeys and trainers give an opinion.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I got the opposite impression when they kept trying to get the jockeys and trainers give an opinion.
    when the lead announcer asked the other two they both flatly said : "no change"!

9. Collapse Details

I agree. I didn't think they were looking for a DQ at all. In fact it sounded to me as if they were hoping it didn't happen.

10. Collapse Details

In 2019 with dozens of HD cameras covering every major sporting event, I guess there is no sport that hasn't been touched by controversies created by instant replay, but I guess that's the price of progress.