Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Using this online parabolic trajectory calculator (https://www.amesweb.info/Physics/Tra...alculator.aspx), with a 9.5 m/s takeoff speed and 23-degree takeoff angle (which is in line with the takeoff angle of real-world jumpers), the board being 15 cm higher than the pit increases a 6.62m jump to 6.95m. That 33cm difference is about 13 inches.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,378
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    It's been driving me nuts since the thread started, but I've restrained myself and reluctatnly obeyed the rule against quibbling about grammar on these Message Boards.
    Although it isn't grammar, per se, I see I am in violation of

    G.15. Critiquing of other posters' choice of words, spelling or grammar is not tolerated.
    So I beg Grasshopper's pardon!

    My only defense is that I often make similar remarks to my students when they make this mistake, in the hope that they will remember it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Although it isn't grammar, per se, I see I am in violation of



    So I beg Grasshopper's pardon!

    My only defense is that I often make similar remarks to my students when they make this mistake, in the hope that they will remember it.
    I always get confused between the proper use of affect vs effect and apparently made the wrong choice here. I can't figure out how to change the thread title, though.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Using this online parabolic trajectory calculator (https://www.amesweb.info/Physics/Tra...alculator.aspx), with a 9.5 m/s takeoff speed and 23-degree takeoff angle (which is in line with the takeoff angle of real-world jumpers), the board being 15 cm higher than the pit increases a 6.62m jump to 6.95m. That 33cm difference is about 13 inches.
    That's a huge difference for anyone let alone HSers. It makes me wonder about the issue of some HSers not progressing once they get to the professional level or even college. Can it be because of these types of issues - lower pits, slightly shorter tracks, etc.?
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Using this online parabolic trajectory calculator (https://www.amesweb.info/Physics/Tra...alculator.aspx), with a 9.5 m/s takeoff speed and 23-degree takeoff angle (which is in line with the takeoff angle of real-world jumpers), the board being 15 cm higher than the pit increases a 6.62m jump to 6.95m. That 33cm difference is about 13 inches.
    Thanks, 18.99s! That's really helpful info and fits with what I was thinking based on my memory of my HS trigonometry and physics classes. For a more basic estimate, I was using a trig equation to find the length of the right triangle, knowing one angle and one side. Since the center of gravity will be landing at roughly the same angle as take-off, I used the Tangent of that angle to find the length of the adjacent side of the triangle (the extra distance of jump), with the opposite side of the triangle being the depth between the runway and the sand (6 inches). So TAN(angle of takeoff) = 6"/x. With a 20-degree takeoff, the extra distance ("x") would be 16.5". That seems like a lot but based on the big PRs I often see at meets with low pits I'm willing to believe it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    That's a huge difference for anyone let alone HSers. It makes me wonder about the issue of some HSers not progressing once they get to the professional level or even college. Can it be because of these types of issues - lower pits, slightly shorter tracks, etc.?
    That's my concern with these situations (such as low pits, wind-aided races with no wind-gauges, poorly hand-timed races), that young athletes get an unrealistic PR which they struggle to match under accurate conditions, leading to discouragement and loss of interest in the sport.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    That's my concern with these situations (such as low pits, wind-aided races with no wind-gauges, poorly hand-timed races), that young athletes get an unrealistic PR which they struggle to match under accurate conditions, leading to discouragement and loss of interest in the sport.
    And add to that the hype of the media upon some of these kids will make it even worse.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    That's my concern with these situations (such as low pits, wind-aided races with no wind-gauges, poorly hand-timed races), that young athletes get an unrealistic PR which they struggle to match under accurate conditions, leading to discouragement and loss of interest in the sport.
    The likelihood of that is probably zero.....
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I always get confused between the proper use of affect vs effect and apparently made the wrong choice here. I can't figure out how to change the thread title, though.
    Affect is an emotional response or disposition; it's the noun few people know. Effect is the one everyone means, the result of an influence or action on something else.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Affect is an emotional response or disposition; it's the noun few people know. Effect is the one everyone means, the result of an influence or action on something else.
    Affect, of course, is also a perfectly good verb. That's its more frequent use.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •