Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Teenage Gold Medal
    Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who won that Olympic gold medal at the age of 19 and not in the hurdles.

Our birthday athlete's gold medal came with a world record.

Some of you may know that this champion was born approximately 15 weeks after Richard Milhous Nixon.

This champion and Richard Nixon both competed in a similar track and field event.

Most of you may not know that our birthday athlete died 23 days before turning 85 (Nixon died at 81).

Born in the same country in which this person won the Olympic gold medal, our birthday athlete was born about 259 miles (416 km) from another Olympic champion.

The other Olympic champion won two Olympic gold medals in the same Olympics as our birthday champion.

You might know that the son of our birthday athlete competed in the 1960 Olympic Trials (similar event as our birthday champion), but did not make the final.

Nobody said this would be easy, but I bet you know this Olympic champion.

Name our birthday athlete for this final Monday of April.

2. Collapse Details

Looking at the clues, probably a US relay member from the 1932 Olympics. I have no idea who that would be though.

3. Collapse Details

I'm kind of pleased with myself on this one ! I knew 2 of the "other 3" on the 1932 1600 relay team along with Bill Carr, namely Fuqua and Ablowich, and then I remembered a Ron Ablowich that was a 400 H'er in about 1960. That being the case I will say Ablowich... and I do not know the first name.

4. Collapse Details

Very good, dukehjsteve. Edgar Ablowich was born 106 years ago today in Texas. Thank you, mcgato, for correctly getting the event in Los Angeles.

Ablowich ran the second leg (47.6) on the U.S. winning four by 400 relay team in 1932. Ablowich went to USC and his Olympic team was anchored by Bill Carr (Pennsylvania) in 46.2.

Their winning time was 3:08.2 (world record).

Ablowich took the baton from Ivan Fuqua (47.1) and Ablowich handed it to Karl Warner (Yale). Warner split 47.3 before handing off to Carr. Fuqua went to Indiana.

Ablowich died 21 years ago this month.