Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Terrible stories about parents who do the HJ, reading the standards at the wrong mark and getting a lot of new 6" PRs. Damage control after the fact is horrendous, but entirely necessary, even if everyone is jumping relatively low heights.
    Dont feel bad, Im sure college professors face the same thing when the new crop of freshman come in and it is obvious that a few of the HS honor students actually need a remediation course.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Like El Toro, I have seen this and virtually every transgression of LJ rules. Since I was not a coach, I had nothing to lose by challenging/correcting the procedure.

In addition to measuring from wrong edge of board, I have seen measuring from estimated point of take off, careless marking "somewhere" in the landing impression, measuring farthest mark in sand (honestly), ignoring teensy fouls, ignoring exit fouls, blatant "home cooking", entire events with wind gauge pointing in wrong direction, wrong distance from board and too far from runway, illegal landing target in pit, supporting hand outside of pit behind landing, calling foul/fair from a position distant and at angle from the board and countless procedural errors.
    I realize I cannot police every LJ competition in the world but it makes me reluctant to retire.
    Of course, the golden rule of measuring throws and horizontal jumps is that you measure from the landing point to that precise point at which a valid throw or jump becomes a foul.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Of course, the golden rule of measuring throws and horizontal jumps is that you measure from the landing point to that precise point at which a valid throw or jump becomes a foul.
    You and I know that... some people don't..

4. Collapse Details

22'11.25" for the win at the Michigan state meet. At what point does the 26'6" stop getting reported. Has to be an error with the people that were measuring.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    was removed as the national leader and on the HS list of May 20.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    was removed as the national leader and on the HS list of May 20.
    This has to be the HS T&F mystery of the year.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    In 75 years of competing and officiating LJ from HS to Olympics, I have never personally witnessed a "Beamonesque/Martinesque" broad/long jump.
    The thing about Beamon is that he got the jump of his life AND had it aided by huge altitude assistance AND in all likelihood by illegal wind.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by johnclevohio View Post
    22'11.25" for the win at the Michigan state meet. At what point does the 26'6" stop getting reported. Has to be an error with the people that were measuring.
    This is unfortunate. First of all, a kid that produces a 23 ft jump at the Michigan State championships is a fantastic athlete, no ifs ands or buts about it. If the 26.5 jump was measured in error it is no fault of his and takes nothing away from a phenomenal senior year. Being the Michigan state LJ champion is as good as it gets HS sports.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    The thing about Beamon is that he got the jump of his life AND had it aided by huge altitude assistance AND in all likelihood by illegal wind.
    True and suspected.

10. Collapse Details

What happened that caused people to discount the jump?

-no comparable performances
    -no wind gage

Was there more?