Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    What happened that caused people to discount the jump?
    -no comparable performances?
    pretty much. His performances before and after were about 3+ feet shorter.

2. Collapse Details

Maybe the kid did jump 26 feet.
    Minor missmeasurements happen but it is difficult to imagine how a three foot measuring error could occur and go unquestioned at the time. Pit officials routinely measuring 21 and 22 foot jumps would immediately recognize such an anomalous jump and presumably be extra cautious in measuring. If tape reader at board calls out 26 x feet , pit officials would know if mark was a yard beyond usual landing area.
    The iffy wind gauge is not a factor.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Maybe the kid did jump 26 feet.
    Minor missmeasurements happen but it is difficult to imagine how a three foot measuring error could occur and go unquestioned at the time. Pit officials routinely measuring 21 and 22 foot jumps would immediately recognize such an anomalous jump and presumably be extra cautious in measuring. If tape reader at board calls out 26 x feet , pit officials would know if mark was a yard beyond usual landing area.
    The iffy wind gauge is not a factor.
    Do we know much about the meet at which this jump happened? Can we assume that there were multiple knowledgable officials running the event? I've been at small HS invitations where only one adult is running a field event with only student volunteer help to back him/her up.

4. Collapse Details

Your are correct, Grasshopper, about the quality of officiating at some meets but Conor Dary posted here that his brother knew the officials personally and all contend the measurement was accurate.
    Yeah, triple hear say but ...
    Last edited by lonewolf; 06-04-2019 at 08:02 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Maybe the kid did jump 26 feet. If tape reader at board calls out 26 x feet, pit officials would know if mark was a yard beyond usual landing area.
    I am hesitant to say it could NOT have happened. That's why it such a great mystery. People there would have known if it was such a huge jump. There would have been immediate BS-calling. Unfortunately I must agree with T&FN's take on it - just TOO anomalous.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Your are correct, Grasshopper, about the quality of officiating at some meets but Conor Dary posted here that his brother knew the officials personally and all contend the measurement was accurate.
    that was in reference to the Champaigne anomaly last year, not this HS mark

7. Collapse Details

I believe that was in reference to the Minnesota kerfuffle.

8. Collapse Details

And the Minnesota folks are too embarrassed to admit their mistake. They wanted the mark to be correct as it was the (not-as-heated-as-The Meet, but still a very old rivalry; the oldest in Football) Big Meet. The next meet of consequence for the lady was a Pentathlon and she jump less than 5 meters. She never got that close to 6 meters, much less a mark that is way beyond her true PR. I know a number of people that were there (multiple-time NCAA Regional coach of the year, NCAA champion, etc) and they all knew instantly that the mark was wrong. I would be embarrassed too if I made that mistake. And, the people doing the measurement probably did that right and the recorders wrote down what they heard, which was all fives and sixes (most likely). And, the possibly the measurement people mis-spoke. In that meet a 6.5+ meter jump would have been very noticeable, fantastically so, and no one oohed and awed at the jump itself.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    why measuring in metric can be problematic :-)

10. Collapse Details

Several years ago at Tyson (I think) the laptop scoreboard operator, copying off the 2nd recorders transposition of 7s and 6s, typed in a W LJ WR. The crown went wild but it was immediately corrected.