Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How long to recover from a decathlon?
    Having been a distance runner, I have some idea how long it takes to recover from a marathon, but Iíve never really known how long it takes to recover from a decathlon. So, how long afterward before a decathlete would be ready for a really hard training day? How long before one would be ready for a meet in which they might do a couple of individual events, like Eaton in a 110H and LJ?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Having been a distance runner, I have some idea how long it takes to recover from a marathon, but Iíve never really known how long it takes to recover from a decathlon. So, how long afterward before a decathlete would be ready for a really hard training day? How long before one would be ready for a meet in which they might do a couple of individual events, like Eaton in a 110H and LJ?
    Depends a lot on the level of performance (moreso than the level of effort) IMHO. Figure a day per 1k to compete at peak level, and 4 days to be able to get after a hard training session. But plenty of us would do a dec and as many as 3-4 individual events at same National Champs. In my experience it is the 3 day window after that body feels worst, which is why one might be able to do a dec followed by 110h, LJ and 4x400 all in a 4 day window.

3. Collapse Details

Just from what I have seen, allow one month between full, all-out, decathlons for collegians, a month and a half for the big boys.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Just from what I have seen, allow one month between full, all-out, decathlons for collegians, a month and a half for the big boys.
    Yes re all out Decs - but not re hard training sessions or individual events.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    on the other hand, as part of a 5-deca year in '70, Jeff Bennett won the Kansas Relays at 7712 on April 17-18 and then won Drake at a PR 8072 on April 22-23. Only 3 days off between the meets and he got a lifetime best!

6. Collapse Details

But then maybe it was a half-assed effort for him in Kansas.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But then maybe it was a half-assed effort for him in Kansas.
    actually, it was a PR by 161 points.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    actually, it was a PR by 161 points.
    It might have been, but considering how much better he did a few days later, maybe he just improved a lot from season to season, and the 7712 was nowhere near his limit at that point.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

I know there are odd occasions when somebody will do a decathlon that is a long way from full-out. Perhaps as something of a training exercise or to get a qualifying mark or to help out their team. In this instance they may well take it easy in the 400 and 1500 and perhaps just try to get a mark in at a field event.

Obviously, this kind of decathlon is likely to be much easier to recover from than a full-out effort. In fact, it may be the case that the reason that they are taking it easy is that they have a more serious, for them, decathlon upcoming.

10. Collapse Details

Actually it was Ayden Owens at Bryan Clay that made me ask. PAC-12 three weeks after Clay, then four weeks to NCAAs. And how about a Hardee or Eaton, after an OT? How soon do they get back at it in training, not just light stuff, technique work, etc, but really hard?