Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

"A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    You do realize that is . . . fiction . . . based on a character who would be regarded today as a very high-functioning autistic savant.
    Unlike, say, LOTR that started the thread and Dilbert that is the most recent post.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Unlike, say, LOTR that started the thread and Dilbert that is the most recent post.
    Which, of course, also prove nothing.

4. Collapse Details

Some meaningless musings on the speed of light and the universe...

Although from a human perspective, the speed of light is mind-bogglingly ultra-fast, it's painfully dead slow from a cosmic perspective.

The scientists and engineers on Earth who control the Mars rovers can't drive it like a remote-control car; it takes several minutes for a radio signal going at the speed of light to reach from here to Mars, and the same amount of time to receive its response. So they have to prepare a list of instructions, transmit it, then make a cup of coffee or go to lunch while waiting to find out if it got the message and what it did.

A spaceship traveling at the speed of light would take 4 years and 3 months just to reach Proxima Centauri, the very closest star to the sun; more than 8 years for a round trip mission.

If SETI detected a radio message from an alien civilization 1000 light years away, which is only about 1% of the diameter of our Milky Way galaxy, they could have already been extinct for centuries before we got the message. Vice versa if we respond and they're still around to receive our message.

The far reaches of the universe are said to be expanding away from us at faster than the speed of light, but the rate of expansion is still less than 0.1% of the size of the known universe per million years.

5. Collapse Details

Good stuff 18.99. It's both inspiring and a little sad to me. Seeing something I know I (we) can never get to is frustrating, but wondering about it can fill hours.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Seeing something I know I (we) can never get to is frustrating, but wondering about it can fill hours.
    Not my hours. I spend zero time pondering the universe, and would happily spend zero tax dollars on anything to do with outer space.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Not my hours. I spend zero time pondering the universe, and would happily spend zero tax dollars on anything to do with outer space.
    That makes at least two of us.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I gotta admit, I do spend too much time pondering the imponderables, but we all do things that satisfy some primordial need to question . . . why?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    That makes at least two of us.
    Three.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I gotta admit, I do spend too much time pondering the imponderables, but we all do things that satisfy some primordial need to question . . . why?
    I do try, at times, to make sense of those things. Then somebody like 18.99 posts something like this, "The far reaches of the universe are said to be expanding away from us at faster than the speed of light, but the rate of expansion is still less than 0.1% of the size of the known universe per million years," and I say to myself, "whom are you kidding?"
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley