Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Usain Bolt As Seen Through Calculus
    This new piece analyzes Boltís velocity at different points in his fastest races using graphing and calculus. I found it an interesting read, even if it confirms what already seemed intuitively the case.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/infin...eid=e9055bbab9

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Not exactly the clearest explanation...started off well then sort of just rambled on...

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Not exactly the clearest explanation...started off well then sort of just rambled on...
    just like every math class I ever took :-)

4. Collapse Details

It's hard to explain mathematics to non mathematicians...but that was one of the worse...don't buy his book is all I will say...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-04-2019 at 12:15 AM.

5. Collapse Details

It's hard to explain mathematics to non mathematicians...but that was one of the worse...don't buy his book is all I will say...
    I doubt that anyone gained any insight into Usain Bolt from this column. I could easily change Bolt's 100m to a John Force 1000 ft drag race and most of the book excerpt (yikes) would not require editing.

This seemed a generic attempt to explain calculus to a layman, and, to your point, not well done.

It struck me that buried in the last sentence of his 12th paragraph, "Speed can only occur over a time interval, not in a single instant." was the statement he was refuting, a point that should have been much clearer.

6. Collapse Details

Bolt's stride frequency is a little bit over 4.5 strides per sec (Berlin), Gay had it close to 5 strides, it's a history.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by effable View Post
    This new piece analyzes Boltís velocity at different points in his fastest races using graphing and calculus. I found it an interesting read, even if it confirms what already seemed intuitively the case.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/infin...eid=e9055bbab9

Not a bad article, the author did!t really get into the real calculus with slopes, equation to fit the data and the first derivative of that equation to find the instantaneous speed at any given moment. Max speed and when are nice to know as well as race patterns.
    I give the article a solid B.

8. Collapse Details

I disagree. If you do it correctly, you can explain anything to anyone (trust me -- it's my job!). That being said, I agree the article was crappy and rambling. It's also quite simplistic for Quanta Magazine (not to mention a decade late), which usually focuses on current issues in science.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    I disagree. If you do it correctly, you can explain anything to anyone (trust me -- it's my job!). That being said, I agree the article was crappy and rambling. It's also quite simplistic for Quanta Magazine (not to mention a decade late), which usually focuses on current issues in science.
    It was my job too.... and my physicist brother...

Yes you can explain anything to anyone is true....but whether they understand it is something else....

10. Collapse Details

It's even worse the second time I read it... I certainly could write something a lot better than that ..

Unless you knew calculus already you'd be completely lost....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-04-2019 at 01:39 AM.