Facts, Not Fiction

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    ...have the right to participate in sports consistent with who they are..."

Worded so as to make it sound like someone is denying them the opportunity to be who they want to be. But you can't be 46 XY DSD and run against females without incurring an unfair advantage. Not being able to race females doesn't impede anyone's ability to live their life as transgender.
    An XY human does not have to have a DSD issue to formulate a desire to identify as female, including for the purpose of athletic competition. And I don't believe DSD is an issue for the transgender HS athletes whose cause the ACLU has taken up in the federal discrimination case brought by some female HS athletes in Connecticut.

The ACLU project division that has taken up the CT case has other active litigation nationally involving transgender issues and most lawyers in an advocacy position are going to be reluctant to concede context-specific shades of gray. I'm sure that among the ACLU's 300-odd staff attorneys there are some with qualms about the consequences for women's sports.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    An XY human does not have to have a DSD issue to formulate a desire to identify as female, including for the purpose of athletic competition. And I don't believe DSD is an issue for the transgender HS athletes whose cause the ACLU has taken up in the federal discrimination case brought by some female HS athletes in Connecticut.

The ACLU project division that has taken up the CT case has other active litigation nationally involving transgender issues and most lawyers in an advocacy position are going to be reluctant to concede context-specific shades of gray. I'm sure that among the ACLU's 300-odd staff attorneys there are some with qualms about the consequences for women's sports.
    Thanks for making these important distinctions. As well, are transgender male to female athletes not 46 XY, in which case they are at the same advantage as 46XY DSD athletes? Or perhaps at an even greater advantage, depending on how much muscle mass is retained after transitioning?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Thanks for making these important distinctions. As well, are transgender male to female athletes not 46 XY, in which case they are at the same advantage as 46XY DSD athletes? Or perhaps at an even greater advantage, depending on how much muscle mass is retained after transitioning?
    To keep it neutral, I should perhaps say "same circumstance" rather than "same advantage", but, generally, yes. And there may be no physical transitioning.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Wambui opens up about Testo rules

see story on home page

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Wambui opens up about Testo rules

see story on home page
    Specifically Margaret Wambui, now that there's also another Wambui (Jackline) who is tackling testosterone turmoil.

6. Collapse Details

She doesn't really say anything new, revealing or surprising there. 'Opens up' is a misnomer.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Couple of thoughts ...

1. She said she is, "... one of those affected by high testosterone ...", but the article did not say what the underlying issue is. It did mention that Niyonsaba confirmed she has hyperandrogenism, but said nothing of the sort about Wambui, although that would seem to be the most logical cause of high t levels.

2. She also said she would not take testosterone-suppressing drugs. That is her call, not mine, but I completely agree with her. I am not aware of any studies on long term effects of such drugs (bambam?), but I can imagine there are negative side effects.

3. As some have said, it is a terrible blow that she cannot compete in an arena she loves and does well at. That's true. But as much as the decision sucks for her, I think it is the correct decision. I wish her well in whatever she gives herself to next.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    1. She said she is, "... one of those affected by high testosterone ...", but the article did not say what the underlying issue is.
    Whatever the specific condition, it obviously is one which has eligibility restrictions under the IAAF's DSD regulations, otherwise Wambui would have still been competing on the circuit through the summer.

9. Collapse Details

I recommend reading the Q and A that the IAAF released when it published the pertinent regulations in May.

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-rele...ligibility-reg

The first A employs the terms XY and XX, which do not appear anywhere in the regulations themselves, and the consequence is a more transparent understanding of the practical breadth of the regulations.

I also recommend considering the significance of the presumption that IAAF articulates in the separate Explanatory Notes that "any female" who registers over 5 nanomoles per liter of testosterone would either have to be 46 XY DSD or doping.

For practical purposes, any athlete seeking to enter a women's event from 400m to the mile who registers over 5 nmol is going to run afoul of the application of the regulations. As a matter of logic, it does not follow that any such athlete necessarily has one of the atypical issues of physical development highlighted in the text of the regulations.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post

3. As some have said, it is a terrible blow that she cannot compete in an arena she loves and does well at. That's true. But as much as the decision sucks for her, I think it is the correct decision. I wish her well in whatever she gives herself to next.
    I'm not the only one who has said that in a better world there would be a solution that allowed people in this situation to compete with each other. And some people think that is not a solution and that these women should be able to compete in the female category. There aren't enough of these athletes to fill a competition in any event, for the time being.

It's nothing to celebrate when a person with such talent gets stuck with a different biochemical makeup and finds no room on the bus. For now I don't see any way out of it.