Facts, Not Fiction

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Common sense reigns...

2. Collapse Details

^^ Agreed. This will go back and forth until whatever relevant authorities clearly delineate what qualifies one to compete in the female category. In my opinion, it should be consistent through all events.
    Last edited by bobguild76; 07-30-2019 at 11:33 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by moreover View Post
    Certainly moves all the XX women up one slot in the rankings, actually 3 in most cases.
    do we actually know for a certainty who is on the IAAF's no-fly list other than Semenya? (I mean one can infer things from DL non-participation, but given the sensitivity of this situation I'd hate to see names improperly named)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    do we actually know for a certainty who is on the IAAF's no-fly list other than Semenya?
    Niyonsaba and Wambui essentially admitted it a couple months ago, if these articles aren't materially distorting what they said.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/...-testosterone/
    Francine Niyonsaba of Burundi, who won 800m silver medals behind Semenya at the 2016 Olympics and 2017 World Championships, said in an interview with the Olympic Channel that she has hyperandrogenism, the first time she’s spoken about it publicly.

“I didn’t choose to be born like this. What am I? I’m created by god. So, (if) someone has more questions about it, maybe (they) can ask god. I love myself. I will still be Francine. I will not change.”
    https://www.nbc12.com/2019/05/22/ano...es-medication/
    The 23-year-old Wambui, the world junior champion in the 800 in 2014, compared the regulations to "losing your job."

"This ruling is very unfair," she said. "I have grown up knowing that I want to do athletics as a career and achieve a lot through it. Why wait for me to establish myself as an 800-meter athlete then tell me that I need to take medication to compete in the same event?

"The ruling has affected me greatly because you are not sure of what to train for ... this season I was focusing on the world championships and Diamond League races but all that effort has gone to waste."

5. Collapse Details

The legal types maybe can help here but wasn't today's ruling less on the facts of whether Semenya's "situation" should allow her to compete and more whether the previous ruling followed proper procedure?

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    According to the Times....more clarification tomorrow...

'Track and fieldís governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations, or I.A.A.F., said it would wait to respond until the Swiss Supreme Court issues a fuller explanation of its decision, which is expected Wednesday."

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    The legal types maybe can help here but wasn't today's ruling less on the facts of whether Semenya's "situation" should allow her to compete and more whether the previous ruling followed proper procedure?
    That is the expectation -- barring a finding of an egregious violation of justice, they're not expected to rule yea or nay on the merits; the expectation is they'll either let the CAS ruling stand, or overturn it on procedural grounds, or remand it back to CAS for them to reevaluate based on evidence or legal reasoning that wasn't properly considered before.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 07-31-2019 at 12:56 AM.

8. Collapse Details

It's also possible tomorrow's published ruling won't be the final decision; it might only be the written reasoning for reversing their earlier decision to let Semenya compete while the case is under review. The final decision may still take some more months.

9. Collapse Details

The steeplechase seems the most logical event for Semenya and Wambui if they want to compete in championships in the future assuming ruling holds and they don't want to do the hormone treatment. Clearing the ladies hurdles would be so easy for their long legs. One drawback for Wambui is Kenya is the most competitive country. Niyonsaba would more logically fit in the 5000. Don't think any of them have 200 speed.
    Of course, if one of these became unbeatable in the event, the event would be added to the protected event lists. Unbeatable in those events would also mean world records because of the current high quality.

10. Collapse Details

Hopefully when we get to Doha any other women competing in the 400/800/1500/400mh wont face some of the snide comments we've seen on other topics, as they would be eligible to compete.