Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Pielke's Wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_A._Pielke_Jr.

<<Fields
    Political science, Environmental Studies, sports governance>>

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    She sent me the link to the story confirming Wambui. Also sent me this one from today's NYT (gotta love the byline...Gina Kolata)(name edit, hard to juggle work and this!)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/s...romosomes.html
    I think this article distills the major points and sets them out neatly.

What has always been most compelling, and entirely ignored by Semenya's defenders and apologists, is this :

..."the alternative is to discriminate against the millions of XX athletes who do not have the advantage testosterone brings — unless they inject themselves with it, which would disqualify them from races."

And that is why the hot air from Pielke deserves no mention.

3. Collapse Details

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/spo...b5n/index.html

Wambui now confirmed to be XY (by virtue of the rule applying to her). Halfway down the page (Margaret Wambui Nyairera). No surprise there.
    I do not read this as a confirmation.
    On Tuesday, Nyairera, who has criticised the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) and IAAF over last week’s ruling against South Africa’s Caster Semenya, said she had undergone testosterone tests as instructed but she is yet to get the results.

4. Collapse Details

Well, that link is now broken for me so I can't copy and paste, but in separate spot it said this ruling now applies to her (Wambui) as well.

5. Collapse Details

This entire issue just becomes more and more impossible. But to me, the bottom line is that to protect the civil rights of Caster and her ilk, the civil rights of countless other "normal" females are trampled. C'est la vie.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    This entire issue just becomes more and more impossible. But to me, the bottom line is that to protect the civil rights of Caster and her ilk, the civil rights of countless other "normal" females are trampled. C'est la vie.
    Spock would have a thing or two to say about that.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details

Well, that link is now broken for me so I can't copy and paste, but in separate spot it said this ruling now applies to her (Wambui) as well.
    I see your point now. She would not be having the required testosterone test if she was not 46 XY DSD.

Question: Does every female competing in the affected events at the international level already know whether or not they are 46 XY DSD? Is it part of the Athlete Biological Passport?

8. Collapse Details

Somehow the link works now: "Imali is among three Kenyan athletes affected by the new rule on hyperandrogenism that seeks to restrict testosterone levels in female runners. The others are Olympic 800m bronze medallist Margaret Nyairera and fast-rising 400m runner Evangeline Makena."

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    I see your point now. She would not be having the required testosterone test if she was not 46 XY DSD.

Question: Does every female competing in the affected events at the international level already know whether or not they are 46 XY DSD? Is it part of the Athlete Biological Passport?
    Post # 113 in this thread (18.99s):

"Urine and blood samples are routinely DNA-profiled (prevents accidental or deliberate swaps with somebody else's body fluids), so the chromosome information is presumably already in the database before they start any additional investigations of any particular athlete."

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    interesting Semenya piece from '09

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/11/30/eitheror