Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I am trying to get the IAAF to deny the reports and rumors that taking photos of the genitalia of DSD athletes is part of the process they must go through to determine if they are experiencing virilization.

They have not denied this. They have never denied this, and the claim was first made 10 years ago by Caster's coach.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Wanted to send Doriane Lambelet Coleman a note thanking her for that opinion piece so went to her Duke Law page, which is here:

https://law.duke.edu/fac/colemand/
    Needless to say this guy doesn't agree....

https://mobile.twitter.com/RogerPiel...Sm2zr-oOLkXXs8

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I am trying to get the IAAF to deny the reports and rumors that taking photos of the genitalia of DSD athletes is part of the process they must go through to determine if they are experiencing virilization.

They have not denied this. They have never denied this, and the claim was first made 10 years ago by Caster's coach.
    If this is indeed so, there is a word for this.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Needless to say this guy doesn't agree....

https://mobile.twitter.com/RogerPiel...Sm2zr-oOLkXXs8

"Coleman's bizarre campaign -- apparently shared by IAAF -- is not just about regulating sport, but defining out of existence 46 XY females, a long-recognized medical categorization, such as by the WHO below."

That's a stretch. The gist of her arguments is that the female category exists for good reasons and needs to be protected so that there isn't disproportionate representation at the top of the podium by athletes that have an obvious advantage. He never talks about that advantage, nor does he address Coleman's comments on the negative effects on the vast majority of participants in the female category, which result from being relegated to the sidelines by a tiny minority of participants. If we suddenly witnessed people with 20 toes showing up and running 8.67 seconds for 100 meters, don't even think of trying to feed me the line of crap that nobody would be upset.

I think he's a bright guy who's written books on many topics and is a published author looking for his next audience.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 05-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    The intersex , and perhaps the transgender category should be established and each should be allowed to run in the men's races. They would then be judged on time for place and declared winners recognized as the intersex or transgender winner on the podium with a ceremony celebrating their achievement..

If properly treated and celebrated with compassion and kindness it could be a huge success for the sport.

Only fear is that some mega talented hyper athletic decathlete dude from the 1970s dressed in a skirt jumps the competition and kicks ass in the male decathlete category.

6. Collapse Details

If we classify transgender athletes according to what gender they identify with, does that mean someone who is physically 100% female, but identifies as male, has to compete against males? It's not a purely theoretical point - Yvonne Buschbaum was one case of this kind. Do the 'only self-identity matters' folks think she was cheating by competing as female? If you apply their line of thinking consistently, you'd have to say she did.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    If we classify transgender athletes according to what gender they identify with,
    Hey! I identify with turtles, born and raised as one. Never mind that I have yellow fur with black spots and can hit speeds over 100km/hr. I'm racing with the turtles! You are what you think you are, nothing more.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    If we classify transgender athletes according to what gender they identify with, does that mean someone who is physically 100% female, but identifies as male, has to compete against males? It's not a purely theoretical point - Yvonne Buschbaum was one case of this kind. Do the 'only self-identity matters' folks think she was cheating by competing as female? If you apply their line of thinking consistently, you'd have to say she did.
    Under the current regulations, biological women who want to identify as men are free to compete in the male category without restriction. I admit that I do not know off the top of my head how they handle trans men who are taking testosterone, which is normally banned, but I suspect that someone who went through puberty as a biological female would be unlikely to gain enough of an advantage via testosterone to have an unfair advantage in the male category.

Buschbaum did not transition until after he retired. To my knowledge, he did not pole vault after he transitioned.

A lot of the what ifs that keep getting brought up on social media have been addressed years, sometimes decades, ago.

The main case I know of of a trans man causing controversy in sports is the case in Texas of a high school wrestler who is transitioning from female to male, wants to compete in the male division, is already undergoing hormone treatment, but is being forced to compete as a female because that is the sex on their birth certificate.

Ironically, photos of this athlete are often used out of context to try and prove the point that athletes should compete the gender they were assigned at birth. And then those same people call Caster a man.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    1) I dont know of anyone that "wants" Caster to compete as a man, she simply can not fairly compete in the historic XX female/woman division.

2) Regarding the Texas HS wrestler. The irony is that a biological female HS student is being prescribed testosterone and is simultaneously being allowed to compete with females that are not on testosterone. The athlete should not be allowed to compete with females. And in my opinion that athlete should not be allowed to compete against males, the risk of injury is too great. My understanding of that case is that the athlete is not XY, quite different than an intersex situation.

Legislatures are in a tough situations in Texas and elsewhere, they just cant forsee everything. They are pressured by their citizens to both protect student athletes from harm and insure fair competition. Connecticut and Texas are harbingers for the future.

Grown ups have to eventually take control and the insanity has to end.
    Last edited by user4; 05-08-2019 at 03:49 PM.

10. Collapse Details

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/spo...b5n/index.html

Wambui now confirmed to be XY (by virtue of the rule applying to her). Halfway down the page (Margaret Wambui Nyairera). No surprise there.