Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Two key points from the decision:

The DSD covered by the Regulations are limited to athletes with “46 XY DSD” – i.e. conditions where the affected individual has XY chromosomes. Accordingly, individuals with XX chromosomes are not subject to any restrictions or eligibility conditions under the DSD Regulations.
    The Panel found that the DSD Regulations are discriminatory but the majority of the Panel found that, on the basis of the evidence submitted by the parties, such discrimination is a necessary, reasonable and proportionate means of achieving the IAAF’s aim of preserving the integrity of female athletics in the Restricted Events.

2. Collapse Details

So, like I said on the other board, we now have an official confirmation Semenya is XY. And I still believe it's nonsense to limit the application of the rules to just a couple of events. Do we really have to go through the whole process again when an athlete of this kind emerges in, say, the SP?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    So this basically confirms Semenya is an XY
    That is my read. I posted similar quotes to what 18.99s has here on the IAAF Decision thread in Current Events.

4. Collapse Details

As a legal strategy, the narrow approach is smart. It will have to be gradually amended as the problem arises.

5. Collapse Details

Let's hope Semenya turns to the 200 or 5k, and runs 21.5 or 14:1, and the IAAF then have to start this again.

6. Collapse Details

Semenya ran the equivalent of a 15:30 in the 5K at SA National Champs according to the NCAA altitude conversion charts and beat an Olympian in the process.

7. Collapse Details

Aye. If that conversion is correct, I'm not sure a 16:05 equates to 15:30 though. If it is, then maybe that's where she goes...could she ever get to the 14:30 she'd need to challenge the worlds best? I sincerely hopes she does to stick two fingers up at the IAAF

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I haven't been following the Semenya story close enough, but out of curiosity, does this mean that if she chooses to, she can compete in the 400-Mile with men?
    No.
    Rule 141.4:
    An athlete shall be eligible to compete in menís (or universal) competition if he is recognised as a male in law and is eligible to compete under the Rules and Regulations.

9. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    The Executive Summary is now available:

https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/us...ary__5794_.pdf

10. Collapse Details

Semenya will still win the 800m gold at the next Olympics. Though she will not be as dominant. Remember that the last time she had to reduce testosterone, only Savinova beat her.
    Testosterone levels are not the only issue at play.
    Last edited by mungo man; 05-01-2019 at 02:16 PM.