Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I would not call Semenya a male. But that does not mean that I disagree with the IAAF's position.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I would not call Semenya a male. But that does not mean that I disagree with the IAAF's position.
    I agree with that. If she wants to self-identify as a female in day-to-day life, I donít think that adversely affects anyone. That all changes when she steps onto a track.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    If she wants to self-identify as a female in day-to-day life, I don’t think that adversely affects anyone. That all changes when she steps onto a track.
    Zackly!

4. Collapse Details

Here's another Twitter thread from the same source:

https://twitter.com/stevemagness/sta...38764128694273

5. Collapse Details

Wow. Reading these twitter feeds, that nytimes article and people's comments about testosterone is breathtaking. "The Myth of Testosterone"!!!?!?!?! What people will swallow for the sake of their political agenda is disheartening and disgusting. Watch one HS or College track meet and explain to me how testosterone isn't THE performance difference. You can't. Gawd!!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Wow. Reading these twitter feeds, that nytimes article and people's comments about testosterone is breathtaking. "The Myth of Testosterone"!!!?!?!?! What people will swallow for the sake of their political agenda is disheartening and disgusting. Watch one HS or College track meet and explain to me how testosterone isn't THE performance difference. You can't. Gawd!!

"The entire premise of that NYT article is that testosterone is sufficient for performance. This is nonsense, as nobody has ever claimed it. It’s a doped up straw man. What we can say is that if you evaluate ALL HUMANS, then T is necessary to be in the top performing group"

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scienceof...52252691525633
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Some folks clearly weren't paying attention in maths/ logic classes and don't know the difference between sufficient and necessary conditions. The vast majority of 100% males could never beat the world's top females, either. That doesn't mean they should be allowed to compete against them.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    he an adult male competing against females.
    If that was true, then we would not be having these endless debates.
    Last edited by Daisy; 05-04-2019 at 11:26 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Calling Semenya a "man" is the most counter-productive thing I could imagine. It only gives ammunition to SJW types who make irrational arguments.

Both sides first have to accept the fact that human sex is not binary, no matter how uncomfortable that is to some people. At the same time, it is impractical to create a third category of competition for all the reasons discussed on the other thread.

So we have to draw a line somewhere between the male and the female category. And no matter where we draw the line, some people will be negatively affected. That is inevitable. The IAAF's position may not be perfect, but I think it's better than what has been previously attempted.

10. Collapse Details

I came across this article on Erik Schinegger, the intersex skiier who was born apparently female (as Erika), and won a world championship title in the 1966 women's downhill, but was disqualified shortly before the 1968 Olympics when tests revealed XY chromosomes along with an internal penis and testes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-events.html

After that discovery, he chose to have surgery to relocate those internals outside (I didn't know that could be done!) and lived the rest of his life as a man, married a woman, and fathered a child.

He also eventually gave the 1966 gold medal to the 2nd placer at the time Marielle Goitschel, and the record books have been rewritten to put Goischel as the gold medalist.