Facts, Not Fiction

Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    In this case, I would see no problem with an athlete competing as female.
    So do you consider the limit set by the IAAF to be reasonable? You're the one with the knowledge of human physiology.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    So do you consider the limit set by the IAAF to be reasonable? You're the one with the knowledge of human physiology.
    A female "normal" level range is 15 and 70 ng/dL and male 280 to 1,100 ng/dL, so the very low male is at 4X high female. I don't know where is IAAF's limit, but if it starts around 2-300, it would not be unreasonable.
    That said, I do not consider myself an expert on reproductive physiology.
    Last edited by Pego; 05-19-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

3. Collapse Details

https://www.kenyans.co.ke/news/39831...ng-iaaf-ruling
    confirms Wambui.

Bishop sure deserves a gold medal however they can get it to her.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by moreover View Post
    https://www.kenyans.co.ke/news/39831...ng-iaaf-ruling
    confirms Wambui.

Bishop sure deserves a gold medal however they can get it to her.
    Meh, who knows how the race would have ultimately played out had the other athletes not been chasing superior athletes. You can't really know who would have won the more restricted race. Seems that three athletes, likely Bishop, would have rightfully taken home hardware though.

5. Collapse Details

Worlds 2015 800 races were quite entertaining, both the semifinal and final with the same 3 close across the line. Bishop, Armazova, Sum.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    Meh, who knows how the race would have ultimately played out had the other athletes not been chasing superior athletes. You can't really know who would have won the more restricted race.
    The race may have gone differently, but Bishop still was the best of the rest in that race and deserves the gold. When medalist athletes are DQ'd for whatever reason, it's standard for the medal to pass on to the next in line without such "what-iffing" denying them of it.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    If she moves up to the 3000/5000 and does as well as she has done at shorter distances, the IAAF will indeed have to figure out what to do. Asssuming that the recent CAS ruling is upheld on appeal (if there is an appeal), I suppose the logical next step would be for the iAAF to expand the study on which their current rule is based to include longer events.

I agree with gh--this part of the discussion doesn't really belong here. We've got other recent threads on the testo issue.
    I agree that this should be elsewhere, but since it is here...

Can you point us to anything from IAAF or CAS that states
    (a) There was only one study, and
    (b) The study did not include longer events
    ?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    Meh... You can't really know who would have won the more restricted race.
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    The race may have gone differently, but Bishop still was the best of the rest in that race and deserves the gold. When medalist athletes are DQ'd for whatever reason, it's standard for the medal to pass on to the next in line without such "what-iffing" denying them of it.
    Meh? Yes, to the first part.

9. Collapse Details

Agree. What the IAAF keep a person like this around makes no sense.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    I agree that this should be elsewhere, but since it is here...

Can you point us to anything from IAAF or CAS that states
    (a) There was only one study, and
    (b) The study did not include longer events
    ?
    The study included all events. But events outside the 400m-mile range didn't have enough DSD athletes with the quality and quantity of performances to give them sufficient data to feel confident that restricting those events would stand up to CAS.

This statement from the IAAF's press release seems to imply they would restrict all women's events if they could.

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-rele...ligibility-reg
    Based on the science, the IAAF considers that 46 XY DSD athletes would have an advantage in all events based on their levels of testosterone in the male range. However, the evidence to date indicates that track events run over distances between 400m to one mile are where the most performance-enhancing benefits can be obtained from elevated levels of circulating testosterone, i.e., both from the extra strength and power derived from the increases in muscle mass and strength, and from the extra oxygen transfer and uptake derived from the increased haemoglobin in the blood.