Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Do you go looking for male potential vaulters among gymnasts?
    As MPo said, boy gymnasts are rare, and the successful ones either stick to it or see more 'glory' in other sports. Girls gymnastics is dominated by smaller girls. The tall ones have more difficulty performing some of the tricks. Plus there is a high burn-out rate among girl gymnasts, because of the high demand of the sport. Almost all my champions have been either former gymnasts or current cheerleaders.
    I once tried to get a particularly supple gymnast to HJ, but she kept doing a complete loop around the bar, so she'd land with her head, face-down, pointing out the front of the pit. Just freaked me out.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Girls gymnastics is dominated by smaller girls. The tall ones have more difficulty performing some of the tricks.
    I believe that's just as true of the boys.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Another source for vault talent is diving. When we switched to fiberglass poles at our high school (mid-'60s), all our vaulters were springboard or platform divers.

Seeing that, I tried to recruit a classmate diver to come out for the pole vault. He told me he wouldn't even try it, he was scared of heights! How was it he was a diver? He did it to try to overcome his fear of heights.

He was a stage actor and later a producer. I never asked him whether he suffered stage fright.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Perhaps in the Great Aaronk's Book of Records. Elsewhere she would be considered the absolute record holder.
    I guess I must have missed the reversal of the recent rulings by both the IAAF and USATF that legitimized INdoor Records as a separate entity from OUTdoor Records!!

Which means that Yomif Kejelcha did NOT break Hicham El Guerrouj's WR a few weeks ago!
    And Mondo evidently did NOT get the Collegiate Record when he PV'ed 19-5 a month or so ago!
    And Athing Mu's 1:23.57 being reported as the American Record must have just been an error on the part of the media!
    After all, Ajee Wilson has run 1:22.39 OUTdoors, so THAT must be the American Record!!

And so on and so on and so on and so on!!!!

LOL
    Last edited by aaronk; 03-19-2019 at 03:21 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    I guess I must have missed the reversal of the recent rulings by both the IAAF and USATF that legitimized INdoor Records as a separate entity from OUTdoor Records!!
    Recent? World indoor records have been recognized since 1987. But, at least in field events, there are no separate outdoor-only records. See the official IAAF WR list and look at what the mPV mark is.

Therefore, contrary to your statement, Cunliffe's mark isn't ONLY an indoor record. It's both an indoor and absolute HSR.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post

Which means that Yomif Kejelcha did NOT break Hicham El Guerrouj's WR a few weeks ago!
    And Mondo evidently did NOT get the Collegiate Record when he PV'ed 19-5 a month or so ago!
    And Athing Mu's 1:23.57 being reported as the American Record must have just been an error on the part of the media!
    After all, Ajee Wilson has run 1:22.39 OUTdoors, so THAT must be the American Record!!

And so on and so on and so on and so on!!!!

LOL
    this repetitive rant is getting tiresome

7. Collapse Details

A pole vaulter from a gymnastics background whose sister has 10.99 speed. Pole-tential.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    To clear up some record confusion... this will count as a HSR.

It ultimately will not be ratified as the iAJR because there was only one official and they require three. They were shooting for the HSR, and had not really thought about the AJR or what would be needed for ratifying that.

HS Records are overall records.
    USATF is separate indoors and outdoors.
    IAAF records are overall records (and the WJR for WPV is an indoor mark).

I believe she plans to go to Texas Relays!

I have video, let me post it to my Facebook, the file is kind of big for downloading off my website...

9. Collapse Details

Administrator

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    HS Records are overall records.
    USATF is separate indoors and outdoors.
    IAAF records are overall records (and the WJR for WPV is an indoor mark).
    Yes, but just to clarify, the IAAF also keeps a separate indoor record. Where the overall record has been set outdoors and is superior to the best ratifiable performance indoors, the latter will be recognized as a WIR or WJIR.

Edited to improve puncutation.
    Last edited by tandfman; 03-19-2019 at 08:45 PM.