Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Going pro now - article on HP.

Best quote:

I hate school, so I really wanted to go pro.” It wasn’t a tough call, she says, “Not at all.”

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Going pro now - article on HP.
    If she doesn't clear 15 feet real soon, she might hate the peanuts she'll be earning more than she hates school.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    If she doesn't clear 15 feet real soon, she might hate the peanuts she'll be earning more than she hates school.
    If going pro doesn't work out, she'll do what any other 20-something who hates school does... get a job or go to some sort of trade school, like the massage school she mentioned in the article.

College isn't for everyone.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    she says in our story that she's headed to massage school

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    If going pro doesn't work out, she'll do what any other 20-something who hates school does... get a job or go to some sort of trade school, like the massage school she mentioned in the article.

College isn't for everyone.
    I agree it's not for everybody. But neither is going through the grueling demands of being a professional athlete while living on poverty wages.

Going pro this soon with a small-money contract could be detrimental to her career as a pole vaulter, unless her parents will let her live with them or otherwise provide financial support until she's earning enough as a pole vaulter to comfortably pay her own bills.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 11-16-2019 at 08:04 AM.

6. Collapse Details

unless her parents will let her live with them or otherwise provide financial support until she's earning enough as a pole vaulter to comfortably pay her own bills.
    Her dad's her coach, so I suspect she'll be fine. She'll go to massage school and make decent money at that.
    Even though I love being a teacher and know that education is vital, I'm quite all right with the path she's chosen. I suspect a great many football players (and other college athletes) wish they could do the same.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Her dad's her coach, so I suspect she'll be fine. She'll go to massage school and make decent money at that.
    Yes, in the long run she'll make a living as a massage therapist or coach or something else; I'm not concerned about that.

My point is that going pro with a PR so far from the top women in the event could cause her to quit the sport within a year or two due to lack of earnings. There are actual Olympians out there scraping by on less than $20,000/year, and she's not even good enough (yet) to clear the Olympic qualifying standard.

If her parents will provide support by paying her rent or letting her live in their house until she's earning enough from pole vaulting to pay her own bills, no harm done. Or maybe she'll find a sponsor who'll pay good money from day 1 based on potential. But if neither applies, she could be in for a world of hurt and an early exit from the sport if she doesn't improve real big real fast.

8. Collapse Details

My point is that going pro with a PR so far from the top women in the event could cause her to quit the sport within a year or two due to lack of earnings.
    Middle-income+ Parents of prodigies typically provide great support systems for their children to succeed. I'll guess she'll be given every opportunity to become national-class (or better).

Top 10 USA in 2019 outdoors

1 4.91 SUHR
    2 4.90 MORRIS
    3 4.82 NAGEOTTE
    4 4.73 GRUVER
    5 4.70 GROVE
    6 4.65 RHODES-JOHNIGAN
    7 4.60 CABALLERO VEGA
    8 4.56 HOGGARD
    8 4.56 CLARK
    10 4.55 BROWN

To earn some change as a pro, let's say it takes 15'+ (4.57). She's not that far off, esp. since her parents will still be footing living expenses. If I were her dad, I give her a year just PVing, then start massage school, but unless she 'burns out', which happens with a lack of success, I'd give her at least 3 years on the dole to persue her dream.
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    she says in our story "massage school in 2 years"

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    she says in our story "massage school in 2 years"
    Then her parents are nicer than me! I'd give her a year of PV-only; if she improves dramatically, then another year - otherwise, start massage school and keep training if she wishes.