Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 95
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,100
    Going pro now - article on HP.

    Best quote:

    I hate school, so I really wanted to go pro.” It wasn’t a tough call, she says, “Not at all.”
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Going pro now - article on HP.
    If she doesn't clear 15 feet real soon, she might hate the peanuts she'll be earning more than she hates school.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #63
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,595
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    If she doesn't clear 15 feet real soon, she might hate the peanuts she'll be earning more than she hates school.
    If going pro doesn't work out, she'll do what any other 20-something who hates school does... get a job or go to some sort of trade school, like the massage school she mentioned in the article.

    College isn't for everyone.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #64
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,852
    she says in our story that she's headed to massage school
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #65
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    If going pro doesn't work out, she'll do what any other 20-something who hates school does... get a job or go to some sort of trade school, like the massage school she mentioned in the article.

    College isn't for everyone.
    I agree it's not for everybody. But neither is going through the grueling demands of being a professional athlete while living on poverty wages.

    Going pro this soon with a small-money contract could be detrimental to her career as a pole vaulter, unless her parents will let her live with them or otherwise provide financial support until she's earning enough as a pole vaulter to comfortably pay her own bills.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 11-16-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,100
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    unless her parents will let her live with them or otherwise provide financial support until she's earning enough as a pole vaulter to comfortably pay her own bills.
    Her dad's her coach, so I suspect she'll be fine. She'll go to massage school and make decent money at that.
    Even though I love being a teacher and know that education is vital, I'm quite all right with the path she's chosen. I suspect a great many football players (and other college athletes) wish they could do the same.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Her dad's her coach, so I suspect she'll be fine. She'll go to massage school and make decent money at that.
    Yes, in the long run she'll make a living as a massage therapist or coach or something else; I'm not concerned about that.

    My point is that going pro with a PR so far from the top women in the event could cause her to quit the sport within a year or two due to lack of earnings. There are actual Olympians out there scraping by on less than $20,000/year, and she's not even good enough (yet) to clear the Olympic qualifying standard.

    If her parents will provide support by paying her rent or letting her live in their house until she's earning enough from pole vaulting to pay her own bills, no harm done. Or maybe she'll find a sponsor who'll pay good money from day 1 based on potential. But if neither applies, she could be in for a world of hurt and an early exit from the sport if she doesn't improve real big real fast.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,100
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    My point is that going pro with a PR so far from the top women in the event could cause her to quit the sport within a year or two due to lack of earnings.
    Middle-income+ Parents of prodigies typically provide great support systems for their children to succeed. I'll guess she'll be given every opportunity to become national-class (or better).

    Top 10 USA in 2019 outdoors

    1 4.91 SUHR
    2 4.90 MORRIS
    3 4.82 NAGEOTTE
    4 4.73 GRUVER
    5 4.70 GROVE
    6 4.65 RHODES-JOHNIGAN
    7 4.60 CABALLERO VEGA
    8 4.56 HOGGARD
    8 4.56 CLARK
    10 4.55 BROWN

    To earn some change as a pro, let's say it takes 15'+ (4.57). She's not that far off, esp. since her parents will still be footing living expenses. If I were her dad, I give her a year just PVing, then start massage school, but unless she 'burns out', which happens with a lack of success, I'd give her at least 3 years on the dole to persue her dream.
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #69
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,852
    she says in our story "massage school in 2 years"
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,100
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    she says in our story "massage school in 2 years"
    Then her parents are nicer than me! I'd give her a year of PV-only; if she improves dramatically, then another year - otherwise, start massage school and keep training if she wishes.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •