Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Aside from Duplantis, has anyone made it professionally as a vaulter without at least some time on a college team?

Mondo Obviously did not need a year at LSU.

2. Collapse Details

Virtually no field eventers go the direct to pro route. Very few even leave school early. Simply put, there’s not enough money in it to make it worthwhile.

3. Collapse Details

Taking out Shur, who is at the end of her cycle, there are only two there that ten inches above her PR, and at her age the annual reasonable increment is greater, especially going 'full time'. Her family clearly has a LOT of speed and if she has that speed she may soon be faster than any of the US vaulters. That gives her more upside than most.

Because the sample of really good junior vaulters is too thin here, look internationally at top junior vaulters such as Sweden's Bengtssen. Her progression has not been smooth but it has clearly been forward. Name a single top (not quite good) foreign vaulter that has bothered to come to the US to vault in college. She is already at a height that might win NCAAs, that is a performance level that has led some US high schoolers to bypass college.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Aside from Duplantis, has anyone made it professionally as a vaulter without at least some time on a college team?
    Every country EXCEPT the USA. The club system works elsewhere, why not here?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Every country EXCEPT the USA. The club system works elsewhere, why not here?
    Who pays for the club system in other countries?

My answer was US specific. I should have said that.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Who pays for the club system in other countries?
    My answer was US specific. I should have said that.
    Yes, I knew that, but my point remains - why can't club athletes (of which there are plenty before college) continue on while eschewing the college route? In Europe the athlete starts off paying for the training, but stipends exist for the talented ones, private and public (grants).

7. Collapse Details

This poses an interesting question for US athletes. Let's imagine you have an 18 year old male pole vaulter. He is a 16'6" guy. He has abysmal technique. He runs a 100m in 10.8. He loves working with his dad's electrician business. He could not do derivatives to save his soul.

He'd like to see if he can develop his sport but like Ms. Cunliffe has no interest in college, what are his options in the US?

8. Collapse Details

A 16'6" guy is not in Cunliffe's class and it is not even close. She is the HSR holder; on that score we are looking at a 6m vaulter. Relative to top international vaulting, 4.90, than she is 40cm below, thus 5.60, or 18'4". I do not think Cunliffe has abysmal technique, so it is not clear what you are driving at.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    A 16'6" guy is not in Cunliffe's class and it is not even close. She is the HSR holder; on that score we are looking at a 6m vaulter. Relative to top international vaulting, 4.90, than she is 40cm below, thus 5.60, or 18'4". I do not think Cunliffe has abysmal technique, so it is not clear what you are driving at.
    I wasn't trying to create the male equivalent to Ms. Cunliffe.

I was trying to create someone with a lot of undeveloped potential who would be a great prospect for a college coach.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I believe she is living with a family member. I do not think she is going to need to pay the bills with professional pole vaulting in order to survive any time soon.